CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Online text macro tool for doing repetitive tasks

Sometimes when programming, I realise that I have to do some very repetitive actions. An example could be changing a text file from one syntax to another:
    ->
    var =
    ["1",
    "2",
    "3"].

Adding a 3rd parameter to all calls on a given function. Comment out every line containing a call to a given function.
    The repetitive text operations I have come across are very different, and as I encounter them I update the tool http://textmacro.com to provide the operations implemented in javascript.
    Am I the only one who encounter problems that cannot be solved by the common "Search / Replace" function?
    If you have ever needed some macro function for changing many lines of code, please tell me what operation you were performing.
    I hope to make a free and useful tool that can free us for that boring repetitive work, so please give me your opinion.

Re: Online text macro tool for doing repetitive tasks

Hey, that's pretty neat. I'd be even more useful if you added a privacy policy to the effect of "we don't store any data you submit for longer than it takes to process".
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    http://blog.biophysengr.net
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.

Re: Online text macro tool for doing repetitive tasks

It actually never stores any data. Everything is done client side with javascript, so no need to worry there, but I might add a small label telling that nothing will be stored or even processed by the server.
    Thanks for the idea.