CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Load Order issues

Hi there everyone, I'm new to the forums and new to coding. I'm currently making a program for a VB class I'm in. I'm required to have a splashscreen and 5 windows. Not a big deal, its a simple little rpg calculator, my issue is I set my code up to load a form up to start a new game or load an old game up. I have visual basic loading up the splashscreen at the same time. I wish to be nudged in the right direction. How would I allow the splash screen to show up, close, then load the dialogbox that allows the player to start a new game or load an old character file?

My current code is in a form load

" Private Sub Mainform_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

SimWelcome.ShowDialog()
    End Sub
    End Class"

Re: Load Order issues

That doesn't look like a Spashscreen. Lesson Here
    Last edited by dglienna; November 25th, 2012 at 10:37 PM.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

The ShowDialog will stop all activity in Mainform until SimWelcome is closed. One way would be to add code to SimWelcome_Load where, after some time, it closes itself. Have you seen the Timer class yet?

Well good news, that's not my splash screen. It's a dialog box used to load old files or start a new one. The issue I have is the code I put in loads up that window at the same exact time the splash screen loads up, the splash doesn't go away until the dialog window goes away. I have had a lesson on timers, do I need to hard code the splash screen in, set a timer up to release it, and then display the dialogbox?

Second, thanks for the site link David, I'm gonna troll it and see if I can learn anything. =)

Open your splash first with ShowDialog so it stops everything else until it closes. If you are working in VS you can set a splash screen in My Project - Application (on the botom), but I don't know if that's the assignment

Quote Originally Posted by Mur16 View Post
    Open your splash first with ShowDialog so it stops everything else until it closes. If you are working in VS you can set a splash screen in My Project - Application (on the botom), but I don't know if that's the assignment
    The Idea of a Splash screen is that everything else can continue loading (but the user at least see's a startup screen).. Expecially for those apps that have code that takes longer than a few seconds to load..

If you want a welcome page to show after the splash page, place the code in the Form Activate sub, not Form Load sub....
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

First off I would like to thank everyone that replied and tried to help me. Everyone's advice was helpful in some way or another. I also asked my teacher about how to do it in a fashion that would be feasable to him. I then felt like an idiot when he showed me I could make the simwelcome dialog box as my main load in the properties. Thank you everyone!