CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question ASP.NET usefull controls

I am going to develop application in ASP.NET MVC. I know there are no rich controls.

Could you please recommend me good controls for that (datagrid, calendar, scheduler, numeric textbox, etc.)?

Thanks in advance

Re: ASP.NET usefull controls

Well what controls depends on what your App needs to do...

the Std controls in VS should suffice for just about anything....
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Anyone has better advice?

Quote Originally Posted by yoyosh View Post
    Anyone has better advice?
    Well no one can give anything better WITH OUT knowing what EXACTLY you want to do.....
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls

Don't speak about other people, only about yourself. In ASP.NET such control library would be eg. AJAX Toolkit. Question is simple.

Please stop boosting your posts count in such infantile and definitely not helpful pseudo-advices.

yoyosh. I've replied to your 'Report Post' report via PM.. Please read my PM very carefully before you reply...

Attached is a screen shot of the Standard controls, including the
    Textbox.. (which with a little java can be made to only accept numerics)
    Calendar .. (depending on what you need to do can be used to setup a schedule type app)
    Gridview/Datalist/Repeater.. (again depending on what you need to do with your data)..

I've Personally written a fully working, running Forum code using ONLY the standard ASP.NET controls, and a few snips of javascript, So i do know what i'm talking about...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

There are a number of control vendors that offer great improvements over the standard controls. As GremlinSA stated, we'd need to know which controls you are specifically interested in, or what you are specifically trying to accomplish with the controls to know which ones to recommend. I can start naming the big vendors, but not sure which apply..... DevExpress, ComponentOne, NetAdvantage, SoftwareFX, etc.....

The softwarehouse where I work chosed Telerik Extensions for asp.net MVC. Beware, though: if you're going with MVC, you have to forget about server controls as you're accustomed to. The "controls" are now a bounch of JQuery, Html and Css, and you will have to manage Post, Get and Ajax calling to your controllers - no more classic serverside events : the view state is not there anymore.

The extensions I mentioned helped me for Views (as I am not good at design) and also added a plus for some smart functionality (like filters on grid columns), but had of course a drawback: as soon as their "normal" functionality is not enough and you would like to "make" a manual paging on a grid, you might find out it is not all that easy without losing a lot of other benefits (like simplicity as per Jquery Ajax).

I ended the project yesterday, after around 5 months of develope. If I look behind, I do believe I could have done it without extensions, but views design would have been poor and I would have spent at least a month more in developing something that could mimik those extensions functionalities.
    ...at present time, using mainly Net 4.0, Vs 2010

Special thanks to Lothar "the Great" Haensler, Chris Eastwood , dr_Michael, ClearCode, Iouri and
    all the other wonderful people who made and make Codeguru a great place.
    Come back soon, you Gurus.