CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Margins pushed out - Help please.

I seem to have screwed with some code and now the margins are busted on these pages - E.G. http://www.exclusivelondon.co.uk/Lon...aspx?LSCatID=7. The change seems to have affected all pages in the LondonLifeStyle/LifeStyleGuide.aspx?LSCatID= directory. The home page and pages like this are fine - http://www.exclusivelondon.co.uk/Lon...ID=466&LSCID=4.
    Any and all help welcome and thanks again four your time.

Re: Margins pushed out - Help please.

Okay having a quick look at it, you've basically missed placed or omitted a clossing tag on the ASP page's HTML tags..

using the HTML validator these were the concerning errors picked up
    Line 1760, Column 9: "table" not finished but containing element ended
    </tr>

Line 1760, Column 9: end tag for "table" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
    </tr>

You may have neglected to close an element, or perhaps you meant to "self-close" an element, that is, ending it with "/>" instead of ">".

Line 1759, Column 9: start tag was here
    <table class="" td height="3" colspan="2" align="left" valign="middle" …
    Line 1760, Column 9: end tag for "tr" which is not finished
    </tr>

Most likely, you nested tags and closed them in the wrong order. For example <p><em>...</p> is not acceptable, as <em> must be closed before <p>. Acceptable nesting is: <p><em>...</em></p>

Another possibility is that you used an element which requires a child element that you did not include. Hence the parent element is "not finished", not complete. For instance, in HTML the <head> element must contain a <title> child element, lists require appropriate list items (<ul> and <ol> require <li>; <dl> requires <dt> and <dd>), and so on.

Line 1770, Column 22: end tag for "td" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
    </span></tr>

You may have neglected to close an element, or perhaps you meant to "self-close" an element, that is, ending it with "/>" instead of ">".

Line 1767, Column 9: start tag was here
    <td colspan="2" align="center" style="padding: 5px; font-size: 8pt; col…

Line 1782, Column 209: character "&" is the first character of a delimiter but occurred as data
    …feStyleGuide.aspx?LSCatID=2"> Fashion & Shopping</a><a class="bottomlinkbreak"…

This message may appear in several cases:

You tried to include the "<" character in your page: you should escape it as "&lt;"
    You used an unescaped ampersand "&": this may be valid in some contexts, but it is recommended to use "&amp;", which is always safe.
    Another possibility is that you forgot to close quotes in a previous tag.

Line 1794, Column 42: end tag for element "a" which is not open
    … Link Exchange</a></a> <a class="bottomlinkbreak">|</a> <a cl…

The Validator found an end tag for the above element, but that element is not currently open. This is often caused by a leftover end tag from an element that was removed during editing, or by an implicitly closed element (if you have an error related to an element being used where it is not allowed, this is almost certainly the case). In the latter case this error will disappear as soon as you fix the original problem.
    I'm sure that if you find and fix the affected formatting tag's the page should display correctly..
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Re: Margins pushed out - Help please.

I'm going to try these changes now. THANK YOU so much for taking time to help. I really appreciate your time and energy and I'll let you know how i get on.