CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Choosing Future Path Walking with C++[Need Helpful Guide]

Greeting Codeguru world!
    I posted my thread in this section because i thought it might be related to (Non Visual C++ Issues). I would like to apologize if this is wrong section.

I had been learning C++ since last 4-5 months. Learning programming language(C++) was my aim to become a successful System Designer from childhood. Due to my poor family background, i wasn't able to join the academic career life of Computer Science. I had been self studying Computer Science from various internet sources and when i got to know that C++ is a powerful programming language, i started reading it. I had gained all basic knowledge as well as knowledge of Object Oriented Programming using Standard Template Library of C++ after reading the Book of Author Robert Lafore.

Suppose, i just caught a bus of (C++) and from inside i saw many paths where i can drive. My destination is to reach towards my Aim (System Designer), but, i am getting pretty much confused which path to choose to reach successful destination. I googled it and it viewed many sites resulting some of the types of programming like Template Meta-programming, Core Programming, Console Programming, Database Programming, Microsoft Visual C++ etc. As i already mentioned, whatever i am studying, its only depends on Ebook and other internet sources. So, i don't have much idea which to choose for what reason.

So, my question is,
    -> Which path i must choose, riding the Bus of (C++) towards my Aim (System Designer)?
    -> What should I learn in basic ?
    -> Which Ebook are in recommendation?
    -> Am i learning right Language ? (C++)
    -> Am i using term "System Designer" really means what it supposed to be ? Or, Does it got other name ?

Awaiting helpful guidance and suggestion.

Regards
    Basanta

VictorN is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Choosing Future Path Walking with C++[Need Helpful Guide]

Quote Originally Posted by basanta View Post
    Yes!
    But I guess you have to also learn C, Assembler,...
    Last edited by VictorN; November 28th, 2012 at 05:00 PM.
    Victor Nijegorodov

Greeting Codeguru world!
    I posted my thread in this section because i thought it might be related to (Non Visual C++ Issues). I would like to apologize if this is wrong section.

I had been learning C++ since last 4-5 months. Learning programming language(C++) was my aim to become a successful System Designer from childhood. Due to my poor family background, i wasn't able to join the academic career life of Computer Science. I had been self studying Computer Science from various internet sources and when i got to know that C++ is a powerful programming language, i started reading it. I had gained all basic knowledge as well as knowledge of Object Oriented Programming using Standard Template Library of C++ after reading the Book of Author Robert Lafore.

Suppose, i just caught a bus of (C++) and from inside i saw many paths where i can drive. My destination is to reach towards my Aim (System Designer), but, i am getting pretty much confused which path to choose to reach successful destination. I googled it and it viewed many sites resulting some of the types of programming like Template Meta-programming, Core Programming, Console Programming, Database Programming, Microsoft Visual C++ etc. As i already mentioned, whatever i am studying, its only depends on Ebook and other internet sources. So, i don't have much idea which to choose for what reason.

So, my question is,
    -> Which path i must choose, riding the Bus of (C++) towards my Aim (System Designer)?
    -> What should I learn in basic ?
    -> Which Ebook are in recommendation?
    -> Am i using term "System Designer" really means what it supposed to be ? Or, Does it got other name ?

Awaiting helpful guidance and suggestion.

Regards
    Basanta
    I can send you books by mail to learn system programming. Send me youre mail by private message an i will aswer you. What i can say is you must learn C. You must study a kernel like linux kernel and see how it works. Linux, becaus it's open source and you can see how it made. If you don't have money i can send you book. thanks and Hold On !!

Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    But I guess you have to also learn C, Assembler,...
    I have learned C first before learning C++.

Am i using term "System Designer" really means what it supposed to be ?
    System Designer is a description of what someone does rather than a profession you become as the result of education. It's simply someone who designs systems. Anyone can be that if that's what he does in the eyes of himself and others.

I'd say the next natural step for you would be to seek employment as C++ programmer. First you'll be doing work on systems designed by others but eventually with growing knowledge and experience you may be able to take on greater responsibilities and be given opportunity to design first subsystems and later even whole systems as main architect.

It's important to be in a good company and have a good boss but that's hard to know beforehand and you can always switch later. Most important at this stage is to get started somewhere as junior programmer. Good luck.
    Last edited by nuzzle; November 29th, 2012 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tsoanety View Post
    I can send you books by mail to learn system programming. Send me youre mail by private message an i will aswer you. What i can say is you must learn C. You must study a kernel like linux kernel and see how it works. Linux, becaus it's open source and you can see how it made. If you don't have money i can send you book. thanks and Hold On !!
    I have Emailed you with giving my email address. Kindly check your Email in Codeguru once..

Quote Originally Posted by nuzzle View Post
    I'd say the next natural step for you would be to seek employment as C++ programmer.
    Searching employment in beginning may be hard for me because, nowadays employer gives first priority to Working Experience and second importance to the Academic Qualification. But, i am learning programming through internet books and sources, neither from Professor's Personal Supervision nor any academic Educational Tour. So, practically my programming skill is zero. I know the knowledge theoretically through some small programming examples but I don't got any idea how to implement it properly practically in real world programming.

Quote Originally Posted by nuzzle View Post
    First you'll be doing work on systems designed by others but eventually with growing knowledge and experience you may be able to take on greater responsibilities and be given opportunity to design first subsystems and later even whole systems as main architect.
    Recently, i got advice to join on Open Source Project like Chrome OS. But, i am getting confused how to participate on it ? Or, can you please suggest me any other open source project which would be exact for beginner like me.

Thanks in advance
    basanta

Or, can you please suggest me any other open source project which would be exact for beginner like me.
    I find it hard to believe an open source project would accept contributions from a total beginner. You're supposed to be a pretty accomplished coder already with excellent hacking skills to be allowed on board.

Sometimes when the economy is booming companies become desparate and try to steal employes away from McDonalds to work as programmers instead. The idea is that if you can flip burgers you can easily use something as simple as C++. After all, there are just two + after the C so how hard can it be really?

Just kidding but to be employable as skilled labour you need skills. Isn't there some form of free education where you live? A Community College? Some hacker group? Otherwise I can just suggest you start writing programs on your own to improve yourself and show to potential employers. And hope for better times.
    Last edited by nuzzle; November 29th, 2012 at 09:11 AM.

Searching employment in beginning may be hard for me because, nowadays employer gives first priority to Working Experience and second importance to the Academic Qualification. But, i am learning programming through internet books and sources, neither from Professor's Personal Supervision nor any academic Educational Tour. So, practically my programming skill is zero. I know the knowledge theoretically through some small programming examples but I don't got any idea how to implement it properly practically in real world programming.
    Since you are still a beginner you may need to get some more experience before someone will hire you. I expect it will be hard to get a job without working experience or a diploma, which is all the more reason you should be looking for a job very hard in order to get some working experience. If you know already you won't be able to get a relevant diploma, then I'd say finding a job is the only way to get in.

In the mean time, you can learn quite a lot by self-study and visiting this forum. A lot of good books are mentioned in this FAQ. Also, have a look at the C++ FAQ lite. To gain experience, you can look for online programming problems and try to answer questions on the forum.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

Working experience is indeed goign to be more important than academic study.

and it's a bit of a catch 22 situation. can't find a job, so you can't get experience.

Some options:
    - Start making some apps for your own use, make them public/open source, see if you can get other people to use your apps and send you feedback. This could be anything really, it could even be "simple" classes or functions others can use in their own code.

- Go to a respected development company "near" you. And offer to work for "free" on some small stand-alone projects they have. Tell them you don't expect payment, but you do expect some mentoring/coaching during the process because you want to get some hands on learning experience.
    If they accept, it's also a foot in the door into getting a full time job when your projects get finished succesfully.
    It might not work, even if you offer to work for free, some companies may still find that someoen with no experience at all will eat too much time of one of their employees to mentor/coach you through. There are other companies

- join a open source project
    chrom is prob not the best fit for a novice though. Look at something smaller and something that interests you personally. You can always work up to bigger things.