CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Struct member manipulation

I work on a system that communicates with other systems via messages. Those messages are defined in a spec and every word must be exactly as defined. To accomplish this Ada allows me to define the fields of my record to specific words in memory. Will C++ allow me to accomplish this same task and if so could someone post an example

Code:
    word = 4;

type Msg_Type1 is record
       x: Some_Type;
       y: Another_Type;
       z: Another_Type;
    end record;

// ada allows me to rep out my record using the 'for use' clause
    for Msg_Type1 use record
       x at 0*word range 0..31;
       y at 1*word range 0..15;
       z at 1*word range 16..31;
    end record;
    Last edited by tsnofvdr; December 5th, 2012 at 02:13 PM.

Re: Struct member manipulation

Sorry, I don't know Ada. You probably should explain just what you mean by "define how the compiler handles the fields of my record".
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

Quote Originally Posted by tsnofvdr View Post
    To accomplish this Ada allows me to define the fields of my record to specific words in memory. Will C++ allow me to accomplish this same task and if so could someone post an example
    I also don't know ADA, but what if this C++ example shows code that is hard-to-maintain or easily bug prone, so much so that no C++ programmer out in the field would recommend it? The point being that you should think on a higher level of abstraction. C++ isn't ADA, but the higher-level concept should be the same.

On a high-level, what exactly is being accomplished by taking this approach? Whatever that is, then you use C++ paradigms to accomplish the goal, where those paradigms may not look anything like ADA, may not even use structs, etc..

In general, attempting to translate language X to C++ almost verbatim usually doesn't work, is very cumbersome, or leads to serious runtime and maintenance issues (one such case is translating from Java to C++).

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Last edited by Paul McKenzie; December 5th, 2012 at 02:51 PM.

You might want to look up 'bitfields':
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.71).aspx
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_field

But be aware that the implementation is compiler-dependent and as such not easily portable. Also, the memory layout differs on big-endian vs little-endian machines.

HTH
    Richard

That's what I was looking for...Thanks for your help

if you need to have a system that will be portable (works for any c++ compiler), then don't use bitfields, instead do the actual maskign/shifting explicitely. How bits in a bitfield are assigned is up to the compiler and not all compilers work the same. Doing things yourself is a bit more work but it will ensure it works exactly how you need it to work.

You may also need to use structure packing. When creating a structure in C/C++, the compiler will insert padding bytes to make sure each field in a structure follows it's proper alignment, this may or may not match what ADA is doing.

for VS (and a few other compilers) this is arranged with the #pragma pack() directive. Other compilers solve this by other means.