CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

Possibility of this application? (basic level coding skill and information)

First of all I apologize if this is in the wrong section. Not sure. If it is I will delete and restart in the corrected section.

So I am trying to figure out if a desktop application is possible or not. The last I used C++ for coding was back in school 2 almost 3 years ago (Now I work 9-5 at a paper shuffling desk job >.<) . I only have basic programming idea and pretty much from pointers etc onwards i am knowledge-less.

I am thinking if it is possible to some how keep track on the running tasks or processes? And if the application can create a thread for them. So when the application is running say for example there are 5 running tasks then the app should create 5 instances or threads for them. If one closes then go down to 4 and if a new one opens go back to 5. If a previously closed thread is restarted then open the same instance for that task or process again? Basically for every running task on the machine have a thread/instance created and running which is retrievable if the application is restarted (maybe even after a complete machine reboot).

Of course i am not asking for the code here. Just a general idea for coding direction on how to maybe go about making something like this efficiently. I looked in Process Walking section at MSDN. Processtool32 api etc. Or maybe a way to create a thread/instance using the mouse click. So if a mouse clicks on a window that will be a running task (something from linux i guess as the Top running process) and an instance for that is created in the application.

So what do you think would be a good way to go about creating this or making it function? If of course I figure my ability to create this is beyond my scope of learning and execution then I might as well give up. :P

Let me know and thanks in advance for your ideas guys!

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: Possibility of this application? (basic level coding skill and information)

Maybe it's just me, but I have no idea what you're asking.

Haha sorry about that. Let me try to re-explain and hopefully I am able to clear the picture up (excuse my lack of coding lingo or mixing up of it).

So my program will basically track a list of running processes. And mostly user processes or applications like IE, outlook, chrome, anything that is an exe that the user runs on the desktop. The program lists these processes and creates instances for them. Those instances can then be anything that I can work with to input/output data. They will not directly work for the processes running but just be instances created under the name of the process. Kinda like a tabbed browsing experience: I open youtube the browser opens a tab for it. What ever I do in the tab remains there and i can run multiple tabs Once I close the tab and reopen it the data that I inputed there remains stored in the memory for that particular tab.

Does that help? I hope so or i can maybe upload some pictures if this doesnt. LEt me know and thanks for your attention.

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by grapeseed87 View Post
    The program lists these processes and creates instances for them.
    I have no idea what that means.

Sorry for the constant confusion guys. I am trying my best to get the jargon right. So please excuse.

Yes I do want to hibernate the process if possible and when it wakes up again I want it to be able to retrieve saved data. Maybe something like write the input data (any type) to a file and then when it wakes again to retrieve it from the same file.

For GC:
    What I am trying to convey is that when the app lists the running tasks it saves the names as objects and creates separate mini-sub-windows for these objects in which we are able to manipulate data such creating a file, editing it, recalling the same data once the process is closed and started again etc. So for example if I am working in a web browser the app will create a mini interface window for that web browser where i can manipulate text/numerical data. I will similarly switch between several windows of file explorers, calculator, etc for which the app creates separate windows. If I close a particular program the app saves the data in the window for that particular program and retrieves it for me to work on it again once i reopen the related program.

Is this explanation better? I am trying to create a powerpoint based visual also

Here is the title of your thread:
    Now, given that title and how confusing your explanation sounds, the only thing to expect is that it takes expert knowledge of the OS.

You say "lists these processes..." -- do you know how to get a list of the running processes? Do you even have anything similar to "Task Manager" or sysinternal's "Process Explorer" coded or even know where to start coding an application like that?

You have to start small first, otherwise you're attempting to run a marathon before learning how to walk, or trying to play Chopin and not have learned where middle 'C' is.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Pretty much sounds like you want to hibernate a process (instead of a whole computer). To some extent this has been done, see this project (link) and these discussions (here, here and here). Alternatively, you might be able to virtualize these with a tool like VirtualBox, which will allow you to suspend to disk (but I'm not sure about your exact application).

Hope that helps some.
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    http://blog.biophysengr.net
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.

Hi grapeseed87..

Please do not repost the same thing over and over, even if it does not appear on the forum immediately.. Because your a new member, certain trigger words in your post put's it into the Moderation Que.. and only once the post is approved by a moderator will it be visible to the public...

I've deleted the other 6 copies of your post.....

Thanks....
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

lol oops Mod! Sorry about that! I genuinely thought the issue is on my side... will remember that from henceforth.