CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] Outlook 2003 Automatic E-Mail

Hello all,

I have a working module that will send an e-mail through Access via Outlook, so this post isn't another one seeking code to get something like that working.
    What I'm wondering, is if there is a way to specify WHO to send the e-mails to. Basically, I am sending out e-mails to a specified list of people to let them know that job tickets have been "out" for 5, 10, or 15 days (or longer). At 5 days, the clerks (secretaries) get the message, at 10 days the managers and accounts receivable people get the message, so on... The 10 day list does not need to receive the 5 day list, so I have created three separate tables in order to prevent this from happening.
    What I would LIKE to do, is consolidate these tables into one, and have a field within the table that specifies whether they are a 5, 10, or 15 day message recipient. Also, the 5 day list receives both the 10 and 15 day message, and the 10 day list receives the 15 day message. I hope this all makes sense..
    I appreciate any help y'all can give!

Re: Outlook 2003 Automatic E-Mail

Just use a 1,2, or 3 for the type, and the date as the parameter. Subtract that date from NOW to determine what to send.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Thanks for the reply!
    So here's what I'm going to try..
    In the table containing the e-mail addresses, I'll assign a "type" to the names in the table (5-Day addresses will be type 3, 10-Dayers will be type 2, and 15-dayers will be type 1).
    I then plan to use an "If" statement to determine which names to send the e-mail to.
    Code:
    'If ![Type] = 3 Then
    ' The next line sends the E-Mail
    DoCmd.SendObject acSendForm, "5-Day Notification", , ![E-Mail Address], , , "5-Day Reminder!", "Hello " & ![First Name] & ", " & Chr(10) & "You have tickets that have been out for 5 days or longer. Please get them processed as soon as possible.", False
    .MoveNext ' Moves to the next record in the recordset
    Loop
    End If
    End With
    That was the code I just tried, and got an error message that said "Compile Error: Loop without Do"
    So I know I have SOMETHING wrong. Maybe I misunderstood your advice?

there is no DoCmd. Check DO WHILE... before LOOP
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Code:
    Private Sub btnSendEmail_Click()
    Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
    Dim stDocName As String
    Dim StrAttach As String
    Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("5-Day E-Mail Addresses")
    With rs
    If .EOF And .BOF Then ' If no tickets were found, no e-mails will be sent.
    MsgBox " No emails will be sent because there are no records from the query '5-Day Notification' "
    Else
    'Do Until .EOF ' Do until the end of the recordset
    Do While ![Type] = "3"

' The next line sends the e-mail
    DoCmd.SendObject acSendForm, "5-Day Ticket Notification Subform", , ![E-Mail Address], , , "5-Day Reminder!", "Hello " & ![First Name] & ", " & Chr(10) & "You have tickets that have been out for 5 days or longer. We ask that you delay no further in getting them processed. Please see the attached document for details.", False
    .MoveNext ' Moves to the next e-mail address
    Loop
    End If
    End With

' Clean up memory at the end
    If Not rs Is Nothing Then
    rs.Close
    Set rs = Nothing
    End If
    End Sub
    This was my best shot. It sent the e-mail to the first person in the list whose type was 3, but I can't get it to send to any of the other threes in the list.