CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

i need help writing a program using array. ASAP!

Write a Java application that does the following:
     Reads an integer from the user represents the number of the students in a class.
     Reads the scores of the students from the user and store them in an array.
     Calculates and prints the percentage of the excellent students in the class rounded
    to 1 decimal place.

please i am new at programming and have to submit this assignment by tomorrow.. so can how how to write.. coz the way i am using it keeps messing up at the declaring Array time

Re: i need help writing a program using array. ASAP!

Show what you have done and we can guide you in correcting it but we won't write it for you.
    Posting code? Use code tags like this: [code]...Your code here...[/code]
    Click here for examples of Java Code

this what i have so far.. i just started java this semester so i bet its full of mistakes.

import java.util.Scanner;
    public class Q7_A_112532 {
    public static void main(System[] args){
    Scanner input = new Scanner(System.in);
    int num = 0;
    int excellentstudent;
    excellentstudent = 0;
    double percentage = 0;

System.out.print("enter the total number of students: ");
    num = input.nextInt();

int[] studentarray;
    studentarray = new.int[num];
    {for (i = 0; i < studentarray.lenght, i++ )
    sum = sum + arr[num]
    }
    if (grade >= 90 )
    gradecount ++;

percentage = count * 100 / num

System.out.printf("The percentage f excellent student is : %.1f", + percentage);

}

}

so i bet its full of mistakes.
    So have you tried compiling it to see what compile time mistakes you have?

should i copy paste em here?

Only if you can't fix them yourself

i used netbeans to compile it.... and this is all the errors it shows.

ant -f "C:\\Users\\Al Doctor\\Documents\\NetBeansProjects\\HafsaShahab_112532" clean jar
    init:
    deps-clean:
    Updating property file: C:\Users\Al Doctor\Documents\NetBeansProjects\HafsaShahab_112532\build\built-clean.properties
    Deleting directory C:\Users\Al Doctor\Documents\NetBeansProjects\HafsaShahab_112532\build
    clean:
    init:
    deps-jar:
    Created dir: C:\Users\Al Doctor\Documents\NetBeansProjects\HafsaShahab_112532\build
    Updating property file: C:\Users\Al Doctor\Documents\NetBeansProjects\HafsaShahab_112532\build\built-jar.properties
    Created dir: C:\Users\Al Doctor\Documents\NetBeansProjects\HafsaShahab_112532\build\classes
    Created dir: C:\Users\Al Doctor\Documents\NetBeansProjects\HafsaShahab_112532\build\empty
    Created dir: C:\Users\Al Doctor\Documents\NetBeansProjects\HafsaShahab_112532\build\generated-sources\ap-source-output
    Compiling 7 source files to C:\Users\Al Doctor\Documents\NetBeansProjects\HafsaShahab_112532\build\classes
    C:\Users\Al Doctor\Documents\NetBeansProjects\HafsaShahab_112532\src\Q7_A_112532.java:23: error: <identifier> expected
    C:\Users\Al Doctor\Documents\NetBeansProjects\HafsaShahab_112532\src\Q7_A_112532.java:23: error: <identifier> expected
    C:\Users\Al Doctor\Documents\NetBeansProjects\HafsaShahab_112532\src\Q7_A_112532.java:24: error: ';' expected
    C:\Users\Al Doctor\Documents\NetBeansProjects\HafsaShahab_112532\src\Q7_A_112532.java:24: error: ')' expected
    C:\Users\Al Doctor\Documents\NetBeansProjects\HafsaShahab_112532\src\Q7_A_112532.java:24: error: illegal start of expression
    C:\Users\Al Doctor\Documents\NetBeansProjects\HafsaShahab_112532\src\Q7_A_112532.java:25: error: ';' expected
    sum = sum + arr[num]
    C:\Users\Al Doctor\Documents\NetBeansProjects\HafsaShahab_112532\src\Q7_A_112532.java:30: error: ';' expected
    7 errors
    C:\Users\Al Doctor\Documents\NetBeansProjects\HafsaShahab_112532\nbproject\build-impl.xml:915: The following error occurred while executing this line:
    C:\Users\Al Doctor\Documents\NetBeansProjects\HafsaShahab_112532\nbproject\build-impl.xml:268: Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.
    BUILD FAILED (total time: 0 seconds)

yup i can fix em... because there are so many dont know where to start from

i can't fix them*

Read the error messages carefully they tell the line number the problem is on (and show you the line) and tell you what is wrong. For instance:

C:\Users\Al Doctor\Documents\NetBeansProjects\HafsaShahab_112532\src\Q7_A_112532.java:25: error: ';' expected
    sum = sum + arr[num]
    C:\Users\Al Doctor\Documents\NetBeansProjects\HafsaShahab_112532\src\Q7_A_112532.java:30: error: ';' expected
    Look at these two lines and the error message which says ';' is expected. What do statements in Java have to end with?

C:\Users\Al Doctor\Documents\NetBeansProjects\HafsaShahab_112532\src\Q7_A_112532.java:24: error: ';' expected
    C:\Users\Al Doctor\Documents\NetBeansProjects\HafsaShahab_112532\src\Q7_A_112532.java:24: error: ')' expected
    These two are a bit more difficult as the compiler is confused. The line has two problems the first being the compiler doesn't know what type 'i' is as you haven't declared it anywhere and secondly it is confused by '.lenght' - check the spelling.

These messages aren't too obvious but mean you haven't declared the type of a variable. There is also a more difficult error on this line which is here 'new.int' - there shouldn't be a '.' in there
    Last edited by keang; December 18th, 2012 at 01:02 PM.

okay i get that part... but now its not even running.... it says that it doesn't have a main method. Could you do me the biggest favor and go through the code once... and tell me if u think what i am trying to do is right or not.... you see the thing is i srudy in an arab country where majority of my class speaks Arabic... so our professor is compelled to speak Arabic most of the time... and that is how i miss those small points that make these programs work.

okay i get that part... but now its not even running
    It can't have been running before, it wouldn't compile.
    Post your latest code with all these fixes in place - please use code tags when posting code.

Your code is on the right lines - you are missing the bit where you ask the user of each of the scores but the rest looks basically correct.
    What are grade and gradeCount for - they are not part of the question you posted.

um i thought u would need to calculate the percentage of excellent students... thats why... u think i should remove that part?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast