CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Access VB.NET objects from web page clicks

Yes I am a newbie to VB.NET and relatively new to web programming in general and I have a mind block. I am working on a web application where the user goes through a series of pages by clicking continue. Whenever continue is clicked some updating in the database needs to be done and the next page built according to reading stuff from the database. This is all done using web service calls. However in my mind this is a lot of reading and writing to tables where I could just create a series of objects en masse right at the beginning of the process, loading all the relevant data for each page into a collection of objects, and then after the click action I just read the relevant data from the object rather than calling a web service that then accesses the database.

How would I do this in VB.NET? Or am I talking nonsense? Do I still need to use the web service route and continually query the tables? The "pages" are really just one page and the page "changes" simply by updating a div.

Re: Access VB.NET objects from web page clicks

Hello?

So, you want to make a copy of all the data on a set of web pages? Doesn't sound like a good idea. Probably against the AUP as well.

http://forums.codeguru.com/aup.html
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna View Post
    So, you want to make a copy of all the data on a set of web pages? Doesn't sound like a good idea. Probably against the AUP as well.

http://forums.codeguru.com/aup.html
    Huh? Not sure I follow. I am used to creating a stand alone application where you can have a set of objects for use throughout the application. All I am asking is whether I can do this with a web application. No idea what your comment about the AUP and the link had to do with anything.

Because you seem to want to scrape the content off of someone else's site, and put it into your own database. All, doing it efficiently. (like nobody would notice?)

If you own the site, you don't need to scrape it...
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Of course I don't want to scrape the content off someone else's site. What on earth are you talking about? I want an easy way, without having to make a bunch of web service calls, where I can store all the information on my web page (not someone else's!) in objects when the page is submitted. How can I do this ON MY OWN WEB PAGE?

Let me rephrase my question because the responses from dglienna just seem bizarre, and maybe the fault is with how I am asking the question. In the world I am used to - stand alone desktop applications - when someone selects, for instance, something in a drop down control and then tabs onto the next control, I can store whatever is in the control in an object. That's what I want to do with my web application. When someone tabs off a control, instead of calling a web service that updates the database I want to store the value temporarily in an object. Then when the whole page is submitted that's when I want to update the database en masse. How can I do this in VB.NET?

You still need to hit the web service to GET the information. You'd have to know exactly what is being returned to be able to save it. Plus, each object probably returns different data. You could SERIALIZE each object and store it as XML or in memory, but, you'd still have to UNIVERSALIZE and then process it.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP