CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: c# books

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

c# books

I normally program in c, c++ using win32 (not MFC). I now need to learn c# using Visual Studio 2010/2012. As there are loads of books available about c#, please would you advise which are the ones recommended (or avoided!)

Re: c# books

No need for a book; just use the internet. Here is a general tutorial: link and here is a discussion that make be helpful based on your C/C++ experience: link

Hope that helps!
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    http://blog.biophysengr.net
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    I normally program in c, c++ using win32 (not MFC). I now need to learn c# using Visual Studio 2010/2012. As there are loads of books available about c#, please would you advise which are the ones recommended (or avoided!)
    I find the books from APress to be good. They're well written and relevant to the topic. You can also get them in PDF format which is what I do.

-Max

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Thanks. That's just what I'm looking for. I've also found the c# language specification document tucked away in the Microsoft Visual Studio nested folders which is a great help.

Incidentially I've come across c++/cli of which I was not aware. Is this any good/recommended and is it worth the trouble pursuing it or just go all out for c#?

Not too much experience with C++/CLI. However, I encourage you to just go for C#. The syntax seems (to my eye) cleaner without significant loss of performance.
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    http://blog.biophysengr.net
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.