CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] Validity of new/delete pair (or malloc/free) after pointer casting

Pretty much a simple question, but I wanted to confirm what I think I understood from reading elsewhere:

Goal: To allocate some memory as a char*, read in some binary data, re-interpret it as a float* and then free the memory.

My code looks like:

Code:
    void someFunction(float* &result)
    {
        char * tmp = new char[1000];

//...Fill the char buffer here...

result = (float*)tmp; //Reinterpret binary data as floats
    }

main(void)
    {
        float  * floatData;
        someFunction(floatData);

//Do something

delete[] (char*)floatData;  //Release the memory
    }
    Is the cast back to char* necessary on the red line (or could I have validly left it as float*)? Would it be different if I had written char * tmp = (char*)malloc(sizeof(char)*1000); on the blue line (and correspondingly used free (char*)floatData on the red line?

Thanks for any guidance you might have.
    Last edited by BioPhysEngr; December 22nd, 2012 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Ah, my original code will segfault. Corrected syntax to pass the result pointer by referece.
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    http://blog.biophysengr.net
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.

Re: Validity of new/delete pair (or malloc/free) after pointer casting

Personally, I would use new float[N] instead, then re-interpret the float* as unsigned char* to fill with binary data, then just delete[] the float* (say via smart pointer).
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

Quote Originally Posted by BioPhysEngr View Post
    Pretty much a simple question, but I wanted to confirm what I think I understood from reading elsewhere:

Goal: To allocate some memory as a char*, read in some binary data, re-interpret it as a float* and then free the memory.
    Why not just declare the data as char from the beginning, do whatever you want with it, and then delete it? Then you need no casting. Or do the opposite -- declare a float*, allocate as a float*, and delete. No casting needed.

Also, what if there is an issue at the end of the buffer? For example can you guarantee that 1000/sizeof(float) is evenly divisible? That last float at the end would tread on unallocated memory.

But I feel that the behaviour is technically undefined. Casting the delete to some other type is asking for trouble in the long run. The thing saving you is that the types are simple types (char, float), but if it were a non-POD type, this wouldn't work out too well. Also, if for some reason array delete is overloaded, then all bets are off, even with simple types.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Last edited by Paul McKenzie; December 22nd, 2012 at 02:08 AM.

I see; thanks very much for your input. So, if I were reading data from a file using an ifstream (which requires a char* to fill with data) in someFunction(...), it would be better to do:

Code:
    void someFunction(float* &result)
    {
        //Assume some open ifstream called "in" and a known integer, fileSize
        int numFloats = fileSize / sizeof(float);
        result = new float[numFloats];
        in.read((char*)result, numFloats * sizeof(float));
    }
    Thereby avoiding the cast after allocation entirely, per laserlight. Then, I can just call delete[] floatData in the main subroutine to avoid any potentially undefined behavior?

Understood correctly?
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.

Yes, that should be fine. Of course, you could use a std::vector<float> instead, then write:
    Code:
    in.read(&result[0], result.size() * sizeof(result[0]));
    with the parameter of someFunction changed accordingly.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

Great; thanks for your help!
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    --

Re: [RESOLVED] Validity of new/delete pair (or malloc/free) after pointer casting

Quote Originally Posted by BioPhysEngr View Post
    Is the cast back to char* necessary on the red line
    I would be surprised if it was. The delete[] operator takes a void* parameter so regardless of whether you pass a char* or a float* that type information is lost in the call anyway.

But although correct this type of casting isn't directly elegant. I would separate the external and internal representation of the numbers. On file I would use a text format and then convert to and from the internal binary format. Boost has a conversion library called lexical_cast one can use for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McKenzie View Post
    Casting the delete to some other type is asking for trouble in the long run.
    Formally it shouldn't be a problem because any pointer passed to delete[] is cast to void* (so it doesn't matter what type they are).

Re: [RESOLVED] Validity of new/delete pair (or malloc/free) after pointer casting

That's not entirely correct. When you use delete [], the destructors for each individual object are called first. If you replace char and float by car and bike classes, it's obvious that using the wrong type when calling delete [] is asking for trouble. Because intrinsic types don't have destructors, this is not really a problem here, but it could be in the future if the types are changed to something else, and you're not aware that of the difference in types in new [] and delete [].
    Get this small utility to do basic syntax highlighting in vBulletin forums (like Codeguru) easily.
    Supports C++ and VB out of the box, but can be configured for other languages.

probably nuzzle is confusing a delete expression with a call to operator delete. In the former case no cast is performed for pointer types ( conversion operators to pointer will be invoked for non pointer types though; BTW, invoking delete on a void* is an error in c++11 because now pointer operands are requried to be pointers to object type; in c++2003 it was just UB ).