CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Passing an STL array by reference - help

how can I pass a matrix as a reference parameter?
    I am using the following declarations:

Code:
    typedef std::vector< std::vector<std::string> > ss_matrix_t;

I declare the matrix with the following statement, where nRows and nCols are integers

Code:
    std::vector< std::vector<std::string> > vI2Matrix(nRows, std::vector<std::string>(nCols,""));

The function is called with:

Code:
    int read_files(std::string fname, int nCols, int nRows,  ss_matrix_t &ssMat )
    but I get a linker error:

error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "int __cdecl read_splayed_files(class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >,int,int,class std::vector<class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >,class std::allocator<class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > > >,class std::vector<class std::vector<class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >,class std::allocator<class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > > >,class std::allocator<class std::vector<class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >,class std::allocator<class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > > > > >)" (?read_files@@YAHV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@HHV?$vector@V?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@V?$allocator@V?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@2@@2@V?$vector@V?$vector@V?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@V?$allocator@V?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@2@@std@@V?$allocator@V?$vector@V?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@V?$allocator@V?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@2@@std@@@2@@2@@Z) referenced in function "int __cdecl readDatafile(void)" (?readDatafile@@YAHXZ)
    1>C:\PROJECTS\cppVS2010\Harness\Debug\Harness.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

I suspect the syntax of the declaration, but I am not sure what to do here?

If I change the call to the function, then the array ( matrix ) is passed by value, and it takes forever:

Code:
    int read_files(std::string fname, int nCols, int nRows,  ss_matrix_t ssMat )
    // this takes ages ( it does compile and link )

How can this be resolved?

Any advice appreciated

Jefe

Re: Passing an STL array by reference - help

Perhaps you should check that the forward declaration of your read_files function matches the definition. If you can find no problem with that then post the smallest and simplest program that demonstrates this error.

By the way, you might as well make the fname parameter a const std::string&.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

Maestro, thanks, the forward reference was the culprit there!

as an aside, I erase that matrix when I have finished with it, and it is taking a real long time ... 600 seconds !

Code:
    	JournalLog("Immediate before matrix.erase(begin, end)  ");
    	std::vector<std::vector<std::string> >::iterator row1 = vI2Matrix.begin();
    	std::vector<std::vector<std::string> >::iterator row2 = vI2Matrix.end();
    	vI2Matrix.erase(row1, row2);		
    	JournalLog("Immediate before return from readDatafile()  ");
    is there a way to spped this erase operation?

the declaration of the matrix is, again:
    Code:
      std::vector< std::vector<std::string> > vI2Matrix(nRows, std::vector<std::string>(nCols,""));
    Thanks again

Jefe

I suppose you could try swapping with an empty vector, but it may or may not make a difference:
    Code:
    std::vector<std::vector<std::string> >().swap(vI2Matrix);
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

Quote Originally Posted by jefe9 View Post
    as an aside, I erase that matrix when I have finished with it, and it is taking a real long time ... 600 seconds !
    Did you time a fully optimized build (without iterator checking)?
    What are the characteristics of your data? How many rows and columns, what type of strings are stored?
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

Maestro, thanks, the forward reference was the culprit there!

Unless your compiler implementation of std::string and std::vector is a bunch of crap, in no way should it take 600 seconds if you run an optimized build. Note the bold text.

If you're running an unoptimized, "debug" build, then you cannot use that as an indication of how fast or slow the erase will perform.

Also, exactly what compiler and version are you using?
    is there a way to spped this erase operation?
    There is nothing to do except to make sure you're running an optimized build. Again, no decent C++ compiler would have such a slow implementation, unless you're running an iterator-checked, unoptimized build, and not an optimized build.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

The compiler is the MS VS-2010 express version;

The number of rows is slightly over 1million = 1,118,135 rows
    The number of columns is 5

The release non-debug optimised build does see a significant performance improvement ie 13 seconds for my code , ..., and 225 seconds for the erase() of that matrix.

I wrote this code for a performance improvement to some open source software, and the debug version was marginal, but the release version is excellent; except for this nasty sting in the tail ... 225 seconds to erase that matrix is still too unpleasant.

I have tried looking at making the strings fixed size; in the hope that would have an improved performance, but have found no ideas there, the syntax of C strings of a pointer to the first element of an array almost ignores the possibility of a fixed string usage?

Any suggestions very welcome.

Thanks

The compiler is the MS VS-2010 express version;

The number of rows is slightly over 1million = 1,118,135 rows
    The number of columns is 5

The release non-debug optimised build does see a significant performance improvement ie 13 seconds for my code , ..., and 225 seconds for the erase() of that matrix.
    Well, erase() can't do magic. If you have that many rows, then what routine(s) do you think exist that can make the deallocation any faster?

You're accessing the heap, and any massive amount of allocation would cause this issue, STL or no STL. You are eventually allocating 5 * sizeof(std::string) for each row. Multiply that by sizeof(std::vector<std::string>) * 1,118,135.

So the total number of bytes allocated just to maintain this data is very large and that is only for the matrix alone, without even allocating the data needed for the vector or string's contents. When the vector is destroyed, you have to deallocate the memory used by over 5 million strings. Now do you think anything you can think of can make those deallocations fast?

Simply stated, you need to rethink your design if you have this many strings.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

A reasonable point Paul, thank you.

Although the Matrix is allocated in less than 13 seconds; I am surprised why there is such an imbalance between creation of the matrix, assigning all the 5 million plus contents; all in less than 13 seconds.

Then, 225 seconds only to deallocate, why this large imbalance ( 13 to 225 ) ?

Thanks

Jefe

Then, 225 seconds only to deallocate, why this large imbalance ( 13 to 225 ) ?
    Don't the strings contain data? Are you factoring in that when the strings are created, they are empty?

When you add data to the string, unless your std::string class has short-string optimization, an additional allocation must occur for the new data.
    Code:
    #include <string>
    #include <vector>

using namespace std;

int main()
    {
        std::vector<std::string> s(10); // 10 *empty* strings are created
        for (size_t i = 0; i < 10; ++i )
            s[i] = "abcxyz123";  // an additional allocation may now occur
    }
    So just because allocation takes a short time doesn't translate into how fast the deallocation will occur. If you want proof, declare a vector of empty strings, and then destroy the vector of empty strings immediately afterwards.
    Code:
    #include <string>
    #include <vector>

int main()
    {

typedef std::vector< std::vector<std::string> > ss_matrix_t;
        {
             ss_matrix_t temp(1000000, std::vector<std::string>(5));   // declare a huge matrix
        } // matrix will be destroyed here

}  // how long did it take to get here?
    Run this in an unoptimized build -- yes, unoptimized. Now how long did it take to create that local vector and when you reach the ending curly brace in main()?

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

You have just re-created how I discovered the deallocation problem.

The strings in my program are initialised with zero lenth strings. Data are assigned to each individual element, for each of the 5 million+ items. At this stage:
    Column-0 contains 1.1 million strings of length 5 chars
    Column-1 contains 1.1 million strings of length 21 chars
    Column-2 contains 1.1 million strings of length 7 chars
    Column-3 & 4 contains 1.1 million strings each of length 9 chars

this all took just a few seconds.

Every element of the array contains real data

Then, when I had finished using the data, the program took ages before terminating;
    The code I wrote above illustrating the matrix erase(begin, end) was the code I wrote to demonstrate that it was the deallocation that took over 90% of the time in the program.

I see a huge imbalance in creation, assigning data to 5.5 million strings; and the subsequent deallocation which takes 95% of the time.

You have just re-created how I discovered the deallocation problem.
    So start with what I wrote. Does this demonstrate the problem? If not, then add code to the code I wrote above that duplicates the problem.
    The strings in my program are initialised with zero lenth strings. Data are assigned to each individual element, for each of the 5 million+ items. At this stage:
    Column-0 contains 1.1 million strings of length 5 chars
    Column-1 contains 1.1 million strings of length 21 chars
    Column-2 contains 1.1 million strings of length 7 chars
    Column-3 & 4 contains 1.1 million strings each of length 9 chars
    One of the things I do not want to do is to always assume that what is described in words is what is actually being done. Too many times we have posters claiming they have done "this or that", but when we actually see the code, they either didn't do "this or that", or they have done something totally wrong or different or additional to what they've described.

That's why I like to start on a consistent baseline. Take the code I wrote, add to it, and then show us that this code is the one that duplicates the problem. Then everyone will be able to run the exact same code on different versions of the compiler (and even other compilers) to see the results.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

OK, I took my original code and ran it against VC++ 2008 with optimizations on and _SECURE_SCL=0 defined. The allocation indeed takes longer than the deallocation, but only because the deallocation code seems to have lost the fact that it efficiently allocated the memory.

The cause seems to be that the loop to deallocate each and every vector is done -- more like an excessive/unnecessary looping issue than a true blue memory deallocation issue. I didn't investigate any further, only that I debugged the vector source code and realized that much more work (either excessive or unnecessary) was being done when deallocating (you could have debugged the vector code also to see what the difference was).

The following code seems to go much faster:
    Code:
    #include <string>
    #include <vector>

int main()
    {
        typedef std::vector< std::string > ss_matrix_t;
        {
            ss_matrix_t temp(5000000);   // declare a huge matrix
        } 
    }
    Instead of a 2 dimensional array, a 1 dimensional array is allocated that is equal to the number of rows * number of columns. All you need to do is wrap this into a class, and instead of using [][] to access each element, overload operator () to have two arguments denoting the row and column to access.
    Code:
    #include <string>
    #include <vector>
    #include <iostream>

template <typename T>
    class Matrix 
    {
        public:

Matrix(unsigned rows, unsigned cols) : rows_(rows), cols_(cols), 
                        data_(rows * cols) {}
            T& operator() (unsigned row, unsigned col) { return data_[cols_* row + col]; }       
            T  operator() (unsigned row, unsigned col) const {return data_[cols_*row + col]; }  

private:
            unsigned rows_, cols_;
            std::vector<T>  data_;
    };

using namespace std;

int main()
    {
        {
            Matrix<string> StringMatrix(1000000, 5);
            // test
            StringMatrix(10,3) = "abc123";
            cout << StringMatrix(10,3);
        } 
    }
    Note that the deallocation when the end curly brace is encountered is very fast.

The code above is derived from this example from the C++ FAQ:
    http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq/mat...script-op.html

Also read as to why operator () has its advantages over [][]:
    http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq/mat...subscript.html

Also, your original code that erases -- why didn't you just call clear() instead of erase()?
    Code:
    // std::vector<std::vector<std::string> >::iterator row1 = vI2Matrix.begin();
    // std::vector<std::vector<std::string> >::iterator row2 = vI2Matrix.end();
    // vI2Matrix.erase(row1, row2);		
    //
    v12Matrix.clear();  // why not just this?
    I'm not saying this is any faster (it may be), but you don't need all of that previous code that calls erase() to empty a vector.

Finally, the title of your thread: Passing an STL array by reference - help:

There is an STL class called std::array that is different than a vector. Need to make sure that you don't confuse a std::vector with std::array.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Last edited by Paul McKenzie; January 2nd, 2013 at 05:31 AM.

For the deallocation speed, did you try running your program outside of the IDE? Just open a CMD window, go to the release directory and run it from there. The thing is that Visual Studio since 2003 also debugs memory in release builds when it's run trough the IDE. This causes sometimes problems with STL objects since they tend to rely heavily on new/delete.

http://forums.codeguru.com/showthrea...077#post859077
    Get this small utility to do basic syntax highlighting in vBulletin forums (like Codeguru) easily.
    Supports C++ and VB out of the box, but can be configured for other languages.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves M View Post
    For the deallocation speed, did you try running your program outside of the IDE? Just open a CMD window, go to the release directory and run it from there. The thing is that Visual Studio since 2003 also debugs memory in release builds when it's run trough the IDE. This causes sometimes problems with STL objects since they tend to rely heavily on new/delete.

http://forums.codeguru.com/showthrea...077#post859077
    Hi Yves,

I did run it by choosing the "Start Without Debugging", so I will try completely outside the IDE and see if this makes a difference.

It did seem strange that deallocation took much more time than allocation, and only because of an odd looping issue and not that the deallocation was calling the heap manager many times.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast