CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Problem Trying to Modify SQL Behind Command Object in Crystal Report 2008

I am encountering a road block trying to modify SQL codes behind Crystal Report 2008 command objects and wondering if someone has encountered the same problem before ...

Though new to Crystal Reports I can imagine that at least a couple of people in this community must have seen the same problem and found a solution to it.

In essence ... I cannot get the command object to disconnect from the repository (said capability is grayed out from pop up when I right click the command object from Database Expert) so that I can make modifications to the SQL code.

Before I finally found something saying that I need to disconnect it from the repository ... I tried all kinds of things ... I tried modifying the sql ... saving modifications etc. only to find (upon reopening of the command's sql) that nothing is getting changed .. so I have hit that wall many times before finding out that I need the aforementioned disconnection thing (at this point my hope is that if I can get the disconnnect to work) then I should succeed in modifying the sql and getting it saved ... all help much appreciated ...

Thanks so much for all the help ...

Gratefully,
    Matt

Question Re: Problem Trying to Modify SQL Behind Command Object in Crystal Report 2008

I wonder if this might be related to some kind of permission setting? If such were the case, I imagine someone with a limited permission (once upon a time must have seen it) ... currently not sure how to test this theory of mine (trying to figure out a way) ... any suggestion much appreciated ... thanks

Lightbulb Re: Problem Trying to Modify SQL Behind Command Object in Crystal Report 2008

I think I may have stumbled on something ... right now I do not have full comprehension of the significance yet however I imagine that someone with more years of experience might know right away what it is .... here is what I am seeing:

I went to Expert Tools toolbar and clicked the Formula Workshop icon ... after this I went ahead and clicked the "Repository Custom Functions" node ... at this point I am seeing a dialog box called "Log On to BusinessObjects Enterprise" ... in the said dialog box there is a textbox for System, User name, Password and Authentication and an OK/Cancel button set at the button ...

I tried to fill some of three of the credentials with thing that I think they should be unfortunately for some reason it is rejecting my credentials ... at this point I just clicked cancel and voila ... I get an error message that says "Repository services are not available" ....

Since the original problem I had was that of a disabled "Disconnect from Repository" selection in the context menu from the command object right click ... could it be then that to enable it I need to input correctly the credentials in the above paragraph first? I am aware all of this may sound elementary ... please bear with me .... thanks so much for your patience.

For now I will keep digging .. please feel free to interrupt me anytime with any suggestion or idea ... thanks

Re: Problem Trying to Modify SQL Behind Command Object in Crystal Report 2008

Now there is another thing I am starting to notice .. when I go to the Repository Explorer it is empty ... I played with the user interface at this point in time and it appears to me that I possibly have to Log On to BusinessObjects Enterprise to see objects there ... so now there is a conflict in my mind ... why is it that I am able to view the SQL of Crystal Report command object from Database Expert even when I am not logged into BusinessObject Enterprise? Is it possible then for a command object to exist without using BusinessObjects Enterprise and repositories? ...

I am continuing to dig ... as usual please feel to inject or say any idea or suggestion you might have .. thanks again

Re: Problem Trying to Modify SQL Behind Command Object in Crystal Report 2008

Case closed found the problem ... I was wrongly assuming that we were using repositories .. thanks