CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

how do I use the .net Framework as a cross platform programming tool

I just recently came over to the .NET side of things and I just like it better then everything else I've experimented with but I don't know truly how flexible .NET is. I also have alot of complementary software to go along with the .NET technologies I'm trying to learn(WPF, WinForms, Silverlight, XAML, ASP.NET, etc.). This is my setup Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate, Expression studio 4, Infragistics & DevExpress User Interface controls along with Telerik Rad Controls (along with all the RED GATE Goodies). all three of these companies state that their products will help me port to all three technologies (Android, Windows 8 & IOS). Is this possible with what I have and if so whats the best way of doing this? The reason is I have to right a program that will function on a device with an embedded system like IOS, Android or Windows 8 Device and I don't wanna have to put aside learning .NET for this one project. I would appreciate any advice or knowledge you have to offer.

Please Help

Thank You!!!

Re: how do I use the .net Framework as a cross platform programming tool

The .NET framework is not cross platform and will never be, because it uses Win32 API's, which will not exist on others like Linux or Mac. For C#, you've got things like Mono though, which can make your code cross platform. Perhaps you can try that.

Otherwise, the .NET framework was built for Windows. It's by Microsoft, so I don't see why they would change this in the future.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    Microsoft MVP .NET Programming (2012 - Present)
    ®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

Thanks for the reply. I guess JavaScript will be my next adventure

You may be interested in Node.js if you get into JavaScript: http://nodejs.org/
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    Microsoft MVP .NET Programming (2012 - Present)
    ®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer