CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Memory Mapped File Performance Question (Urgent Answer Needed)

I would just like to know if it would be inefficient if I created a hundred or more view streams or view accessors from a Memory Mapped File object per process, and I had a few or more processes running that shared this file. (By file I mean memory-mapped file that is not persisted to the disk.) It is more efficient to create and destroy one view stream / view accessors many times? Or do I need to rework my implementation of what I'm working on so that it depends on only one or a few views accessors / streams?

Any help would be appreciated, and this is urgent because I am trying to get something done as soon as possible.

Re: Memory Mapped File Performance Question (Urgent Answer Needed)

I'm not sure. Generic guidance: Try out a (rapid) prototype of your current plan, check to see if it's fast enough; if not, re-design.

It might be helpful if you gave more information about what sort of problem you are trying to solve.

I assume we're talking about things in this namespace: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...orymappedfiles
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    http://blog.biophysengr.net
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: Memory Mapped File Performance Question (Urgent Answer Needed)

Also, since this is considered a shared resource that is accessed by multiple threads, don't forget to synchronize access to the memory mapped file.