CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Communicating between ChildView and PropertiesView class in MSVC++ MDI/MFC/Doc/View

Hello to everyone,

I have a standard MSVC++ 2012 project created with the project wizard as follows...

Is a MDI/MFC/Doc/View project
    Has Tabbed Children Views
    It has an extra Properties window created by the wizard called PropertiesWnd.cpp

PropertiesWnd.cpp uses a CMFCPropertyGridProperty control to display properties.
    (I understand how to use this control)

------------------------------------------------------
    Scenario:
    When I click inside a ChildView window, I need for information about that view to be displayed in the properties control on PropertiesWnd.cpp.
    Another way to word my Scenario is to say...
    I need to access properties of the Child View class from the the PropertiesWnd class to update the properties control when I click the child view window.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Some Info...

You can't #include the ChildView.h file in the PropertiesWnd.cpp or .h file. It breaks the architecture.
    Therefore, I dont understand the architecture rqmts to do this.

I tried to do this inside my PropertiesWnd.cpp � But it breaks the architecture because to do this I must #include the ChildView.h file inside PropertiesWnd.cpp or PropertiesWnd.h�

Inside a function I put...
    CMDIFrameWnd *pFrame = (CMDIFrameWnd*)AfxGetApp()->GetMainWnd();
    CMDIChildWnd *pChild = (CMDIChildWnd*)pFrame->GetActiveFrame();
    yourMDIView *pView = (yourMDIView*)pChild->GetActiveView();

// Now update the variable or member of your choice
    pView->a = 1;

The code itself works, but the framework will not allow it.

So My Question Is:
    How can I update my properties window with variables from the ChildView that I click on?
    I need to be able to access the data of the ChildView from the PropertiesWnd.cpp

Or

How can/should this be done?

Thank you very much for your help.

Re: Communicating between ChildView and PropertiesView class in MSVC++ MDI/MFC/Doc/Vi

Quote Originally Posted by arealperson View Post
    So My Question Is:
    How can I update my properties window with variables from the ChildView that I click on?
    I need to be able to access the data of the ChildView from the PropertiesWnd.cpp

Or

How can/should this be done?
    You should get the data from the document, not the view. Get the active document by calling CFrameWnd::GetActiveDocument.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky