CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Re: Please help save VB6

Thousands of clients do not have the $$$ to have perfectly good applications rewritten. VB6 has just passed .Net (number 5) on the TIOBE index. Many developers feel VB6 is quicker to market and easier to support than .Net. VB6 works GREAT with the largest and newest version of Oracle (12c).

If one was to follow the facts, one can only wonder how a company could ignore such a huge opportunity for income. At this point all those forced to .Net have gone. What are left are all the developers keeping it the 5th most popular programming language on this planet. No small number.

VB6 has\is built many of the worlds mission critical applications. All the developers want is a 64-bit compiler\IDE. Is that really a lot to ask?

Obviously.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberious1 View Post
    Thousands of clients do not have the $$$ to have perfectly good applications rewritten. VB6 has just passed .Net (number 5) on the TIOBE index. Many developers feel VB6 is quicker to market and easier to support than .Net. VB6 works GREAT with the largest and newest version of Oracle (12c).
    So why would they need to be re-written? If they work perfectly fine then there is no reason to spend thousands of dollars rewriting them. As for quicker to market, this would be true if you are very experienced in VB6 and not in VB.Net but if you know you way around VB.Net and have been using it everyday for some time it is quicker than VB6 no doubt. I have been using both VB6 and VB.Net side by side for the last 10 years and was using VB for about 10 years before that and I definitely can crank out lots of things faster in VB.Net than in VB6 even though I can crank em out pretty quick in VB6. It largely depends on experience, design and knowledge of the languages.

If one was to follow the facts, one can only wonder how a company could ignore such a huge opportunity for income. At this point all those forced to .Net have gone. What are left are all the developers keeping it the 5th most popular programming language on this planet. No small number.
    I don't see such a huge opportunity for income. Unless a new edition on classic VB is offered that has a large number of improvements, additions, target platforms and such it would not sell all that well. Especially considering that lots of people are moving to mobile devices that classic VB does not support. It would likely be a large investment to modify VB6 in even a few small ways and redistribute it likely larger than the demand for it.

As for what languages are most popular, amongst newbies and wannabes VB is pretty high on the list for sure, Amongst hard core experienced programs it drops a bit on that list. A lot of the people who have moved to .Net also still use VB6, myself included. I moved to .Net in 2003 as it could do things that I needed to do and could not be done in VB6.

VB6 has\is built many of the worlds mission critical applications. All the developers want is a 64-bit compiler\IDE. Is that really a lot to ask?
    Vb6 is far from being alone in that list of languages that have build some critical apps and became obsolete, it is not even a biggie in that regard. You must consider that major applications were being written long before VB came into existence and they will continue long after VB6 is forgotten.

6 is the longest lived version of VB for sure but I don't see them investing in an updated version.
    Last edited by DataMiser; May 18th, 2014 at 01:21 PM.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

You don't have to like the facts but they are that VB6 is one of the top programming development system still in 2014. For all those that want to use .Net, Pascal, COBOL, Java etc. go for it! People should be allowed to use what they feel is best...including VB6.

For most of what I my clients need, a 64-bit version of VB6 would continue to meet their needs for many years to come.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

You don't have to like the facts.
    That goes both ways. The fact is that Microsoft apparently doesn't see any business value in bringing back a new version of VB6. Until the VB6 community can convince MS there is value in it, the VB6 revival movement will continue to be only internet chatter.

You don't have to like the facts but they are that VB6 is one of the top programming development system still in 2014.
    Of course all but the one on the bottom are one of the top VB6 is not nearly as widely used as some people seem to think. The fact is Microsoft moved away from VB6 many years ago. You should consider yourself lucky that the apps built in VB6 still work under the last 5 operating systems released by MS.

For most of what I my clients need, a 64-bit version of VB6 would continue to meet their needs for many years to come.
    The 32 bit existing version works fine and may handle the needs of your clients for years to come, then again they may come up with a new OS next year that makes old VB apps not work at all. The the client can stay with the OS that they do work on or they can move on to something else. The same could happen with a 64 bit compiler if one were to exist.
    In my case if a 64 bit version was released then if it also included some new features and/or supported additional platforms I would consider buy it. If it were just the compiler it would have to be cheap, but a full blown improved version especially one that could work on more than just a Windows PC I may consider paying full price but that is very unlikely to happen.

Please let people know about a crowd funding project to create a vb6 replacement.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a...e-and-compiler

hmmm 1 team member and no clear direction nor staff to do the work. Really does not sound like something that would be a wise investment.

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    hmmm 1 team member and no clear direction nor staff to do the work. Really does not sound like something that would be a wise investment.
    Please show me your framework so your comment may have some credibility. If you do not know what is involved or have intimate experience in this realm i question your statement.

I am going on the advise from Karl E. Peterson and others of that stature, that if anyone can pull this off it is Olaf (vbrichclient.com author)

If and when the funds are available, those who gave will vote on which precise direction we go. I have faith in the vb6 and open source community that this will happen eventually.

Thanks for your criticism it encourages us to move forward.

Wow....can't I go anywhere on the internet without seeing this troll thread ? VBForums wasn't enough ?

Quote Originally Posted by axisdj View Post
    Please show me your framework so your comment may have some credibility.
    I have no idea what you mean by that statement nor how it is in anyway related to the topic at hand.

Yes I have a lot of experience in the programming world and have in depth knowledge of VB Dos to .Net
    VB6 was a very large project with tons of features. Trying to develop a clone for it is not a one man job and will take a lot of time basically what you are promoting is "Vapor Ware"

After almost 1 year of Windows 10 I still have a question - is VB6 going to work on future versions of Windows? MS say that Windows 10 is there forever. My current VB6 projecct works on current Windows 10. Can anybody tell that it is going to be for a long time? Or nobody knows MS plans?

No one knows for sure what is around the corner. Even MS can't be sure where they will be in the near future.

All we know is that the core of VB works under every version of Windows that has came along after VB6 and will likely continue to work for some time to come but that does not mean that projects written in VB will all continue to work some will not work right now and some would not work under anything Vista or later. It all depends on the project and what components are used in it.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910