CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Re: Please help save VB6

The whole "Desktop App" concept is on it's way out, I think. The benefits outweigh the other options
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Personally I use most heavily VB6 and VB.Net 2005 for development. Slowly moving to VB 2008 and still have a few projects in VB 2003 and a few in EVB 3 that I have to support but are not worth converting or updating. I also do a little C# when I have the extra time [still learning C# so am a bit slower there]

VB 2010 I have used very little, only a bit for playing around with Windows Phone and XBox 360 stuff and VB 2012 is loaded but have not written a line of code in it yet. This is largely because I do a lot of work for Windows CE and Windows Mobile devices which are not supported past the 2008 version.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by WizBang View Post
    I'll agree that updating VB6 doesn't fit into their playbook. That's for sure.
    I think profitability is in their playbook - as it should be for any corporation.

However, the good news is that there's no reason why VB6, and programs written with it, won't continue to function for some time to come. Just because it hasn't gotten a facelift recently doesn't mean it's unusable.
    Coming this August, VB6 will have been around 15 years. Isn't that a long enough [vb]run?

Perhaps those who view programming with the same "soundbite mentality" as is the case for Hollywood gossip, and pop music's flavor of the day, may always find themselves jumping on the latest bandwagon. Thus always feeling like they're constantly playing a game of catch-up.
    I don't think I've have the "soundbite mentality" - instead I have the "need to be competitive so I can stay employed mentality". For proof, it's simple enough to compare the percentage of VB6 jobs available 15 years ago with the same today. As a programmer, I need to be at least near the cutting edge so I can remain employed. Perhaps all areas aren't this way, but in my area there aren't too many VB6 jobs around.

Honestly, I don't want a job where I have to program in the same language that I've programmed in for the past 15 years. To me, that would be torture. I guess other folks don't want to upset the apple cart and are happy with not learning anything new. I would have to get out of the business if that were the case for me.

I do feel that I always play catch up, though. In our business there is always so much to learn - SQL, Entity Framework, WPF, WCF, MVC, Razor, Azure, PPL, AMP, Parallel programming, pair programming, TDD, not to mention programming on all the new form factors. I enjoy the challenge and don't worry about the folks that don't want to stay current, because I know that eventually, I'll have their job. I also know that eventually, I'll slip up, get complacent and won't be current, then someone else will get my job and I'll need to retire. In two weeks, I'll have been programming for 19 years - I think I have about another 16 in me. I can't even begin to think of the changes that will occur in the next 16 years. Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    Coming this August, VB6 will have been around 15 years. Isn't that a long enough [vb]run?
    One might think so. But consider that C++ has been around quite a bit longer (since 1983 according to Wikipedia). Not only is C++ still in heavy use today, but guess what Microsoft continues to use extensively, even to create the windows OS itself? Rather than be abandoned, C++ has been updated over the years. I think what many would argue is that the classic VB could (and should) continue to be updated as well. While vb.net may bear some syntactical resemblance, it most certainly isn't an update to VB6. No more than RealBasic, LibertyBasic, Basic for QT, or other forms of Basic would be.

I don't think I've have the "soundbite mentality" - instead I have the "need to be competitive so I can stay employed mentality". For proof, it's simple enough to compare the percentage of VB6 jobs available 15 years ago with the same today. As a programmer, I need to be at least near the cutting edge so I can remain employed. Perhaps all areas aren't this way, but in my area there aren't too many VB6 jobs around.
    Point well taken. Although, the independent programmer does not have the same pressures. I admit I sometimes forget what it's like to be in such a rat race.

Honestly, I don't want a job where I have to program in the same language that I've programmed in for the past 15 years. To me, that would be torture. I guess other folks don't want to upset the apple cart and are happy with not learning anything new. I would have to get out of the business if that were the case for me.

I do feel that I always play catch up, though. In our business there is always so much to learn - SQL, Entity Framework, WPF, WCF, MVC, Razor, Azure, PPL, AMP, Parallel programming, pair programming, TDD, not to mention programming on all the new form factors. I enjoy the challenge and don't worry about the folks that don't want to stay current, because I know that eventually, I'll have their job. I also know that eventually, I'll slip up, get complacent and won't be current, then someone else will get my job and I'll need to retire. In two weeks, I'll have been programming for 19 years - I think I have about another 16 in me. I can't even begin to think of the changes that will occur in the next 16 years. Looking forward to it.
    I cannot argue against that. I also enjoy continuous challenge. And in fact, I do feel that I've taken VB6 just about as far as it can go, which I why I'd like to see it get updated. I use the windows API for everything where it makes sense, so most times the performance is quite good. But unless classic VB gets more powerful, or another form of Basic picks up the torch, I think I may end up going to C++. It certainly beats the pants off .net, at least for my purposes.
    Please remember to rate the posts and threads that you find useful.
    How can something be both new and improved at the same time?

Not much pure C programming is being developed... (except on Apple, perhaps)
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

FWIW - Just heard... "... think VB6 support is extended till 2016, so Windows 8 supports VB6." No Transparent Icons though...
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna View Post
    C had the same problem, then C+ came along, then C++ and now v11. Quite different, and for the better
    One might think so. But consider that C++ has been around quite a bit longer (since 1983 according to Wikipedia). Not only is C++ still in heavy use today, but guess what Microsoft continues to use extensively, even to create the windows OS itself? Rather than be abandoned, C++ has been updated over the years. I think what many would argue is that the classic VB could (and should) continue to be updated as well. While vb.net may bear some syntactical resemblance, it most certainly isn't an update to VB6. No more than RealBasic, LibertyBasic, Basic for QT, or other forms of Basic would be.
    Not much pure C programming is being developed... (except on Apple, perhaps)
    The Future of C++ :

http://www.codeguru.com/blog/categor...ture-of-c.html

I think a few of us may relate to these sentiments

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/jj133828.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by George1111 View Post
    I think a few of us may relate to these sentiments

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/jj133828.aspx

I agree, and here's a new article (and they will keep coming because VB6 community began to wake up):

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...rful-than-ever

From the codeproject article:

We have to force Microsoft's hand to reintroduce VB6 to the market, of course, under the same name and fully compatible with future Windows OS’s!
    I heard that FoxPro is making a comeback as well. Seriously, there is little incentive for Microsoft to spin up a new, modern VB6 effort.

MS bought FoxPro, so all seems lost...

(Never used it, since I used Paradox back then)
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

MS bought FoxPro, so all seems lost...
    ??

That happened a very very long time ago, somewhere around version 2.6 or so? MS continued to update and continue the product for 15 years and the last version is apparently compatible with Windows 2k - win8 so I have no idea what to make of your comment.

Ok course the making a comeback part int he post before was a joke,
    Last edited by DataMiser; January 23rd, 2014 at 01:21 AM.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    ??

That happened a very very long time ago, somewhere around version 2.6 or so? MS continued to update and continue the product for 15 years and the last version is apparently compatible with Windows 2k - win8 so I have no idea what to make of your comment.

Ok course the making a comeback part int he post before was a joke,
    Yeah, I probably shouldn't be joking as I know there are folks that still use VB6 and would like MS to update it. I just don't think Microsoft has any interest in doing so. What might be more achievable is to get MS to release the VB6 source code as open source so the community could take it where they wanted.

And they won't EVER release the source code.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

And they won't EVER release the source code.
    Perhaps, but they may make the source code available as an open source project like they have done in other areas. Realistically, I think there is no chance for Microsoft to resurrect VB6 and make it an active project maintained by Microsoft. There might be a chance for VB released as open source. Even this would require a significant amount of work as prepping the VB6 source code for release as open source would take quite a bit of resources. It isn't like MS could just hand over the code without first going through it. In the end, giving the amount of work this would take, I wouldn't have high hopes it would happen.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast