CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Re: Please help save VB6

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    Yeah, I probably shouldn't be joking as I know there are folks that still use VB6 and would like MS to update it. I just don't think Microsoft has any interest in doing so. What might be more achievable is to get MS to release the VB6 source code as open source so the community could take it where they wanted.
    I agree with dglienna, the source code of VB6 has small chances to be given to the VB6 community, BUT, the chances that a new version of VB6 will be reintroduced to the market, are very high!

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Ginerica View Post
    I agree with dglienna, the source code of VB6 has small chances to be given to the VB6 community, BUT, the chances that a new version of VB6 will be reintroduced to the market, are very high!
    Given the last VB6 release occurred 16 years ago, it doesn't seem likely. I guess one can continue to hope.

Really? I wonder why you would think that. I figure the chances are pretty much non existent.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    Really? I wonder why you would think that. I figure the chances are pretty much non existent.

I say this because there are many, many VB6 programmers. How do you figure the chances ? Are you a decision guru from the Visual Studio team ?

I say this because there are many, many VB6 programmers. How do you figure the chances ? Are you a decision guru from the Visual Studio team ?
    There are a lot less now than there were a few years ago.

There have been lots of posts and petitions over the years to try and get MS to do some updated version of VB that closely resembles VB6 but it has not gotta any results and very likely will not get any. MS made a decision to change VB to use the .Net framework and they are sticking with it. They did so for Vb7, 8, 9, 10 and so on. VB6 while still a good tool and very functional is of the past. Would you think they would also bring back Windows 98 or Windows NT? Perhaps we will see a new version of Dos 6 coming out soon as well

Those VB6 programmers out there that want to develop for other devices need to get with the times and learn something from this decade. Something that is meant to work with these devices.

Unless Windows 9 is going to be the new DOS (which I doubt)
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

There are a lot less now than there were a few years ago.

There have been lots of posts and petitions over the years to try and get MS to do some updated version of VB that closely resembles VB6 but it has not gotta any results and very likely will not get any. MS made a decision to change VB to use the .Net framework and they are sticking with it. They did so for Vb7, 8, 9, 10 and so on. VB6 while still a good tool and very functional is of the past. Would you think they would also bring back Windows 98 or Windows NT? Perhaps we will see a new version of Dos 6 coming out soon as well

Those VB6 programmers out there that want to develop for other devices need to get with the times and learn something from this decade. Something that is meant to work with these devices.
    Actually there are more VB6 developers in 2014 than in 2009-2010. You don't understand the point of this. It will be a new VB6 which will make applications on other platforms too.

You said yourself, you still do programming in VB6, and, if you want to develop for other devices, you use .NET. Why do you presume that other VB6 developers don't do the same .... All VB6 programmers keep up with the times, using Java and C++, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna View Post
    Unless Windows 9 is going to be the new DOS (which I doubt)

I do not understand you! You like VB6 but you're against it ?! what happens here ?!

Actually there are more VB6 developers in 2014 than in 2009-2010. You don't understand the point of this. It will be a new VB6 which will make applications on other platforms too.
    And how would you know this? There are a lot less than there were in the past. Most companies have moved from VB6 to .Net well before 2009.

You said yourself, you still do programming in VB6, and, if you want to develop for other devices, you use .NET. Why do you presume that other VB6 developers don't do the same ....
    Of course I still use it and I use VB 7, 8, 9 as well. All depends on what I need. I also use Windows 2000 and Windows XP. That doesn't mean MS is going to make a new Windows XP.

All VB6 programmers keep up with the times, using Java and C++, of course.
    No they don't. A lot of them have never even touched either of those languages in fact a lot of them don't even really know VB6 very well.

And how would you know this? There are a lot less than there were in the past. Most companies have moved from VB6 to .Net well before 2009.
    The question is valid for you too: And how would you know this? There are a lot MORE VB6 programmers than there were in the past. Actually I know by the number of VB6 projects from 2013, however, you're saying "less" without any support ... you just want it to be so

Of course I still use it and I use VB 7, 8, 9 as well. All depends on what I need. I also use Windows 2000 and Windows XP. That doesn't mean MS is going to make a new Windows XP.
    Actually Microsoft made a ​​new version of XP, it is called Windows Longhorn and after that Windows Vista and after that Win 7 ...! but, Microsoft did not make VB .NET as the new version of VB6 ...

No they don't. A lot of them have never even touched either of those languages in fact a lot of them don't even really know VB6 very well.
    How do you know this ? You assume a lot about the VB6 community without any support! Before you speak, make a research about VB6 programmers on the internet ... you will see the point eventually.
    Last edited by Ginerica; January 24th, 2014 at 10:13 AM.

I have worked in the field since before VB6 was released. The job market started moving toward .Net in the early 2000s and more and more VB6 programmers moved to VB.Net and/or C#. 1: because it is more powerful, 2: because that is where the jobs are.

Sure there are a lot of people who use VB 6 still, a very large number of those are beginners and quite a few do not even have a legal copy of VB6.

As for doing research do I really need to? I have been paying attention to this subject for the last 15 years. I think i have a pretty good idea of where the trends are.

As for how I know that not all VB6 users write in Java and C++, well it is extremely obvious seeing that I have talked to and helped hundreds of VB6 programers and I personally know several of them and I myself do not use Java at all unless you count Java Script as Java which I have did a little of.

Also the lame attempt at a comeback to my XP comment is just that, lame, I am not talking about a development version from several years back.

Microsoft did not make VB .NET as the new version of VB6
    Of course not, there is no other version of VB6 VB5 was VB5 VB7 is VB7 only VB6 is VB6 yet the VB7 [e.g. VB.Net] Does build off of VB6 and it was the new version of VB it is just different, just like VB4 is different than VB3 and VB5 is different than VB4 and all of these are much different from VBDos. It is all part of the evolution of MS Basic which was very very much different.

The question is valid for you too: And how would you know this? There are a lot MORE VB6 programmers than there were in the past. Actually I know by the number of VB6 projects from 2013, however, you're saying "less" without any support ... you just want it to be so

Actually Microsoft made a ​​new version of XP, it is called Windows Longhorn and after that Windows Vista and after that Win 7 ...! but, Microsoft did not make VB .NET as the new version of VB6 ...

How do you know this ? You assume a lot about the VB6 community without any support! Before you speak, make a research about VB6 programmers on the internet ... you will see the point eventually.
    You're claiming that there are more VB6 projects in 2013... More than what? Cite your sources. Post a link that supports your claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    You're claiming that there are more VB6 projects in 2013... More than what? Cite your sources. Post a link that supports your claim.
    Of course, some are found in a simple Bing/Google search:

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/fo...improved-versi

http://www.planetsourcecode.com/vb/s...75121&lngWId=1

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...rful-than-ever

http://www.theranking.com/what-is-th...e-world_r55229

http://sandsprite.com/blogs/index.php?uid=11&pid=238

I'm actually mad because you should support this cause, who knows, maybe for once, Microsoft listens to the community.
    Last edited by Ginerica; January 24th, 2014 at 03:36 PM.

I have worked in the field since before VB6 was released. The job market started moving toward .Net in the early 2000s and more and more VB6 programmers moved to VB.Net and/or C#. 1: because it is more powerful, 2: because that is where the jobs are.
    The same VB.NET programmers continued heavily to program in VB6. I'm a multi language programmer, but still I am attracted of VB6 like a magnet.
    I know that sounds weird, but VB6 (as a programming language) is more powerful than VB .NET. I can prove these claims by showing some VB6 projects. But the thing with the jobs it is also important.

Sure there are a lot of people who use VB 6 still, a very large number of those are beginners and quite a few do not even have a legal copy of VB6.
    Even more important, if they are a lot of beginners, it means that Microsoft does not get rid of VB6 for the next 20 years 70-80% of them do not have license for VB6 because they can not buy licenses for years (is not on the market).

As for doing research do I really need to? I have been paying attention to this subject for the last 15 years. I think i have a pretty good idea of where the trends are.
    you never know what can happen

As for how I know that not all VB6 users write in Java and C++, well it is extremely obvious seeing that I have talked to and helped hundreds of VB6 programers and I personally know several of them and I myself do not use Java at all unless you count Java Script as Java which I have did a little of.
    I think that everyone went where the wind has blown, some on Java, some on C++, some in VB .NET, some in the scripting languages and so on ...

Also the lame attempt at a comeback to my XP comment is just that, lame, I am not talking about a development version from several years back.
    Lame, lame true

Of course not, there is no other version of VB6 VB5 was VB5 VB7 is VB7 only VB6 is VB6 yet the VB7 [e.g. VB.Net] Does build off of VB6 and it was the new version of VB it is just different, just like VB4 is different than VB3 and VB5 is different than VB4 and all of these are much different from VBDos. It is all part of the evolution of MS Basic which was very very much different.
    You realy lost me on "VB6 VB5 was VB5 VB7 is VB7 only VB6 is VB6 yet the VB7 [e.g. VB.Net]". But, my plea to this forum is to support VB6.
    Last edited by Ginerica; January 24th, 2014 at 04:05 PM.

Nice articles, but not one mentions any data to support the user base.

I'm actually mad because you should support this cause, who knows, maybe for once, Microsoft listens to the community.
    Why be mad? I have the opinion that developers are better off staying with current technologies rather than hoping MS will bring back 16 year old technology. I am of the opinion that a dev can be more productive with later technologies if they bother to learn them. I also believe that current technologies are more marketable in terms of employment (at least in my area), but perhaps other areas are stuck in a time warp?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast