CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Re: Please help save VB6

The new version of VB is VB.NET. Full stop. Microsoft will not change .NET. When you say that VB 6 is much more powerful than .NET, then you do not know .NET at all.
    Also, there isn't more VB 6 programmers out there. If that was the case then there would be a lot more people without jobs.

This is 2014. Do you know the term IoT ( Internet of Things ), well, that is the latest trend, and if you want to adapt to that trend I suggest you forget about VB 6.

I do not understand why you are so persistent in forcing your opinion onto us. Everybody that has responded to this thread has a lot of experience in both VB 6 and .NET. We do not claim to know people who are against the .NET Framework and still living in the 20'th century.

Where can I find this list a gurus?
    Prove your statistics ( about VB 6 being used more )
    Prove your statistics ( that VB 6 programmers rather adapted C and Java, and not C# or VB.NET )

Look, I am not trying to be mean, but really, this pipe dream of yours will unfortunately never eventuate. It is the same we force Nokia to bring back the 3310 model. It is the same as us forcing Mazda to bring back their older versions of cars. We are supposed to go forward, not backward.

Thes elinks you have provided do not mean that there are more VB 6 apps out there than .NET.

Let us take a look at each link :

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/fo...improved-versi

This is just people asking to have VB 6 alive again. Always with the words "Silent Majority" which can mean anything and is quite relative. I live in South Africa, and trust me VB 6 is quite dead here. Also keep in mind that South Africa is not a very technological country such as USA.

http://www.planetsourcecode.com/vb/s...75121&lngWId=1

This is just a VB 6 app, with the author's personal opinion, that simply links to :
    http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...rful-than-ever

Again, no proven source. You say we have to prove our sources. I can in one word. Experience.

http://www.theranking.com/what-is-th...e-world_r55229
    This was created 4 days agao and is quite biased. Why, I suppose it is the same legion of people from the other articles. I tried to vote but got a message that TheRanking is experiencing problems.

http://www.sandsprite.com/blogs/inde...uid=11&pid=238
    Does not want to open.

Quote Originally Posted by HanneSThEGreaT View Post
    Thes elinks you have provided do not mean that there are more VB 6 apps out there than .NET.

Let us take a look at each link :

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/fo...improved-versi

This is just people asking to have VB 6 alive again. Always with the words "Silent Majority" which can mean anything and is quite relative. I live in South Africa, and trust me VB 6 is quite dead here. Also keep in mind that South Africa is not a very technological country such as USA.

http://www.planetsourcecode.com/vb/s...75121&lngWId=1

This is just a VB 6 app, with the author's personal opinion, that simply links to :
    http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...rful-than-ever

Again, no proven source. You say we have to prove our sources. I can in one word. Experience.

http://www.theranking.com/what-is-th...e-world_r55229
    This was created 4 days agao and is quite biased. Why, I suppose it is the same legion of people from the other articles. I tried to vote but got a message that TheRanking is experiencing problems.

http://www.sandsprite.com/blogs/inde...uid=11&pid=238
    Does not want to open.
    I read your two posts. I do not like when someone makes me a liar when I bring solid arguments and I really do not appreciate it. None of the above links are biased. Your experience is relative in programming. Moreover, I do not think you're aware of what's happening. You want to convince us to give up Visual Basic 6.0 because you want it so? Who are you to dictate to me (or to others) that ?! I do not see why you struggle so much against Visual Basic 6.0, a programming language whose appearance will not affect you or orher programming languages (but you must have a reason, a paid one).

Today I got the daily Mail List from Planet Source Code with 30 new VB6 source codes posts. The other day 6 new posts, the day before yesterday 21 posts ... and that only on PSC, in the world there are hundreds of posts/day!

Show me a programming language that has so many new projects posts per day as Visual Basic 6.0 has !

PS: you make me laugh, even on Facebook there are 22 groups for Visual Basic 6.0, all talking and posting new code ! even in VB .NET groups there are VB6 discussions on projects!

Last edited by Ginerica; January 25th, 2014 at 01:32 PM.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Ginerica, please leave personal attacks out of the responses. I realize you are passionate about the subject, but folks responding to you don't need to see those types of responses.

Please understand that the people that have responded (me excluded) have been involved in the VB community and have donated their time to answer VB related questions for many years, so their replies should carry a bit of weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    Ginerica, please leave personal attacks out of the responses. I realize you are passionate about the subject, but folks responding to you don't need to see those types of responses.

Please understand that the people that have responded (me excluded) have been involved in the VB community and have donated their time to answer VB related questions for many years, so their replies should carry a bit of weight.

ok, but if there is a high chance for VB6 to appear in a new version, why to obscure that ? what is the reason for the comments that can stop this ?! (especially that his opinion weighs)

Quote Originally Posted by Ginerica View Post
    ok, but if there is a high chance for VB6 to appear in a new version, why to obscure that ? what is the reason for the comments that can stop this ?! (especially that his opinion weighs)
    Microsoft has a right to take their business in any direction they choose. 16 years ago or longer, they choose to discontinue native VB (i.e. VB6). There is practically zero chance that folks could make a compelling business case to convince Microsoft that it would be profitable to create a new version of VB. From a business standpoint, a few comments on the internet aren't enough to convince the decision makers at MS. When you look at this from an economic point of view, it doesn't make sense.

Microsoft has a right to take their business in any direction they choose. 16 years ago or longer, they choose to discontinue native VB (i.e. VB6). There is practically zero chance that folks could make a compelling business case to convince Microsoft that it would be profitable to create a new version of VB. From a business standpoint, a few comments on the internet aren't enough to convince the decision makers at MS. When you look at this from an economic point of view, it doesn't make sense.
    from an economic point of view?! realy ?! How do you know?

The people are speaking increasingly often of suing Microsot for Visual Basic 6.0

How do you know?
    We are modern. You are NOT!
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna View Post
    We are modern. You are NOT!
    QUOTE: "This throws us into an older conclusion, namely if it is new it is not necessary better. " , but Visual Basic 6.0 is !

from an economic point of view?! realy ?! How do you know? The people are speaking increasingly often of suing Microsot for Visual Basic 6.0
    Let's check into this thread a few times over the next couple of years to find out if Microsoft has been forced to bring back VB6.

In the meantime, I think I'll spend my time staying up on current technologies. Heck, I already know how to program in VB6 so if it's brought back, I have nothing to lose.

QUOTE: "This throws us into an older conclusion, namely if it is new it is not necessary better. " , but Visual Basic 6.0 is !
    But how do YOU know? Are you proficient in any modern languages or platforms? Is VB6 your only language? I sure hope not.

But how do YOU know? Are you proficient in any modern languages or platforms? Is VB6 your only language? I sure hope not.
    Yes I am "proficient" in some modern languages and two platforms, and I avoid VB .NET (because that's what it is all about it seems) for the simple reason that the app's are super addicted (and slow) to too many files!

But, are you "proficient" in any "modern" languages or platforms ??!
    Last edited by Ginerica; January 25th, 2014 at 10:45 PM.

It is funny really. Yes VB6 was a great language and many of us continue to use it. I use it quite often and still write projects in it. Mostly because I have been using it for a very long time and am totally comfortable in it.

That said I also use VB 2003, 2005, 2008 quite a lot also. These are much more powerful than VB6 and if you know how to use them can write faster running programs than VB6 while giving you more control over them and a greater amount of re-usable code.

There will be no new version of VB6, VB6 is a single version of VB just like VB Dos was and VB 2012 Is they are all Visual Basic and they have went through some major changes along the way.

Just because some people would rather work in the VB5/6 environment does not mean it is better than VB7-10 nor does it mean that they will create a VB 6.5 all these years later.

Face it. You should learn to use VB.Net You'll be surprised just how cumbersome it is to code in VB6 after having used VB.Net for a while not to mention being able to create mobile apps, xbox games, multithreaded apps and having 1000s of classes at your finger tips. There is a learning curve but once you get up to speed the newer versions are better,

As for the legal copies of VB, you can still get a legal copy it is just that most of those people I speak of are not real programmers, they just download something from a torrent site and use it illegally rather than pay the money for it.
    I picked up another copy [legal copy] of VB6 myself last year which I got directly from Microsoft. I also got VB 2012 at the same time and SQL Server 2012 and Windows 8
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

for those who say vb6 is bad because it does not implement pure OOP

http://michaelochurch.wordpress.com/...d-programming/

virtually useless object oriented programing check out the slides and audio recording

http://www.meetup.com/VanDev/events/16863266/

Nobody said it was bad. It simply is TOO OLD to use (technology wise)
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast