CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Re: Please help save VB6

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    News flash - Google isn't going to do it either.
    News flash - They can't ! yet ! (you lack of a sense of logic and coherence in writing text, you better let others to make a comment, those who understand the problem)

YES WE CAN ! Visual Basic 6.0 for Android made by US, the developers !: http://www.planetsourcecode.com/vb/s...75245&lngWId=1

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Ginerica View Post
    you lack of a sense of logic
    Whoa, and that's coming from a guy that wants to bring back VB6.

Knock yourself out.

Why would Google license a dead technology, just to release a new product to react to wanting the same old thing a new way? Google never has done that. They're more about NEW
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by axisdj View Post
    The link below goes to a visual studio customer feedback site. We can vote to save vb6... Everyone if you use vb6 Please vote, we need 12,000 votes, we are now at 400. Please Help!
    The only company you can trust won't let you down like this is IBM. It's amazing what number of obscure languages they keep supporting decade after decade after decade. Remember that the next time you bet on a technology.

But Basic is a dead language. Or at least in a coma on life support in Redmond. The only reason it made it into .NET was for sentimental reasons. Bill Gates is emotionally attached to the language since the early DOS days. But now Mr. Gates is leaving and that's the end of Basic.

So the best you can do is to switch now. If you want to punish Microsoft then Java is an excellent choise, backed both by Oracle and most importantly by IBM. Otherwise C# is the obvious choise.

Drop Basic and get on with it.
    Last edited by razzle; February 22nd, 2014 at 12:09 PM.

Oh, VB.Net is changing every day. MVP's and ex-MVP's (as well as anybody) can file a bug on CONNECT. Vote for what you'd like, and if it gets enough votes, it's added when possible.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna View Post
    Oh, VB.Net is changing every day.
    What post are you replying to and why?

David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

Play nice!!!

Ginercia, first you attack me and take my knowledge in question. You may know that what I have forgotten about VB 6, you may never know. Yes, read it as is. I have stayed away from this thread because of your first comments to me.

I have decided to join the discussion again, because now you are attacking Arjay and his reputation. Arjay is IMHO one of the most clever people I have had the pleasure of knowing. I will never know everything he knows. If I were you, I would take his opinions seriously.

Now, everyone : Everyone has a right to his / her opinion. There is however a line. Now, when this line gets crossed it is not nice. This thread starts to move into a flame war thread, hence my replying.

We are all supposed to be adults, professionals, great minds sharing ideas. It is senseless to attack people personally just because you do not agree with a certain point. It is plain childish and spoilt-bratty.

Like any other person, I will defend myself; and I do not blame others defending themselves. But, we can only defend ourselves up to a point. ( this is the line I keep on referring to ).

Let us not cross that line here in this thread...

Now everybody, go take a nice smoke break, or a cold shower, or go watch a silly movie- frankly I do not care what you do to "calm" yourselves down, as long as you come back and not cross the line...

Quote Originally Posted by Ginerica View Post
    Do you understand what 14627 Visual Basic 6.0 programmers means ?! It is aaaaaaaaaaaaaa lot or programmers !!! We are not talking about the masses (the regular people), we are talking about real programmers !!! 14627 IS HUGE !
    Actually considering how many programmers there are out there and how many wannabees call themselves VB programmers I would say that is a very tiny number.

When I browse Internet forums related to VB6 I see a handful of people that know what they are talking about and 100s who barely have a clue
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

So, if you file a bug on connect to save vb6, then see how many votes you can get. get enough, and they might dust off the floppies
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

I wonder if any of the developers who worked on VB6 are still there? It has been a very long time.

I know I would hate to be tasked with revamping a huge project that I did 15 years ago That would be a nightmare just getting back up to speed and understanding what does what before any coding to even begin.
    Even worse if I wasn't the one who wrote it in the first place and worse still if the original author is not available for insight.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

I'd bet it wouldn't get many votes. That was my point
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

Well, I guess we're getting there? http://channel9.msdn.com/coding4fun/...th-anniversary
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Glad to see it now has that modern look.

Doesn't do much use, though. Just a sidekick to .Net
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast