CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: An app, and dongle calls

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McKenzie View Post
    So in the end, what are you looking for in the Visual C++ forum? I don't see a C++ question, just some musings on a piece of supposed buggy hardware.

If anything, GCDEF suggested the closest thing that has anything to do with the topic of this forum, and that is to use the debugger to debug whatever you're having trouble with.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    At this point, we don't even know if the program is getting to the point where the dongle is called. That's why you need the debugger, to show you where in the code the program is hanging. Without it, you really have nothing to go on. The problem may have nothing at all to do with the dongle API. First thing to do is find where it's hanging, how it got there, and what's wrong that's causing it to hang. The debugger will show you all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McKenzie View Post
    So in the end, what are you looking for in the Visual C++ forum? I don't see a C++ question, just some musings on a piece of supposed buggy hardware.
    I know almost nothing about programming and code. I tried to do the right thing by originally saying:

hope this is the right forum. If not, please feel free to move it to wherever it should go.
    Instead of simply telling me this doesn't belong here, why not offer a suggestion as to where it should go?

As for the debugger sw, is there a recommendation of what I should look into? Bearing in mind my level of skill (or lack thereof).

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
    Instead of simply telling me this doesn't belong here, why not offer a suggestion as to where it should go?
    Does a forum named Visual C++ Programming sound like a forum to ask about buggy or supposedly buggy hardware dongles? Why didn't you choose the "General Chit Chat" forum?
    As for the debugger sw, is there a recommendation of what I should look into? Bearing in mind my level of skill (or lack thereof).
    Microsoft Visual C++, the topic of this forum, comes with a debugger. That is what GCDEF is referring to.

You start your application under the debugger -- when it hangs, a "Break All" will show you the function that it is currently executing, as well as the list of functions that got you there (if you look at the call stack). That is about all you can do, and even that may not be feasible if the software has anti-debugger protection (where running under a debugger will cause the software to crash on purpose). Anything else requires the programmer(s) at the manufacturer's site to debug and fix issues.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Last edited by Paul McKenzie; January 28th, 2013 at 01:17 AM.

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

I just read the OP again. You're the end user? Do you even have the source code? Have you contacted the company that made the app?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12