CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

What does "candidate function(s) not accessible" mean?

I have a new managed C++ Form project (my first) and if I try to declare a StreamReader object I get an error that I don't understand:

Code:
    private: System::Void Form1_Load(System::Object^  sender, System::EventArgs^  e) {

StreamReader sr;
    }
    This generates an error on compiling:

error C3767: 'System::IO::StreamReader::StreamReader': candidate function(s) not accessible c:\my documents\visual studio 2008\projects\windowsforms\windowsforms\Form1.h

Can someone explain what this means please?
    Thanks

Re: What does "candidate function(s) not accessible" mean?

You're trying to default-construct a StreamReader object. That class does have a default constructor, inherited from TextReader, but it's protected, so you can't access it from your code. That leads to the irritating error message you got instead of a plain "that doesn't exist". Use one of the several public StreamReader constructors instead.
    Last edited by Eri523; January 28th, 2013 at 04:13 PM.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Re: What does "candidate function(s) not accessible" mean?

Thank you very much. The MSDN explanation for this error is more cryptic than the error message.