CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

ofstream valid path and name

The following code writes to a file on either local disk to a remote disk (commented out code) on Windows 7 platform.

Code:
    #include <iostream>
    #include <fstream>
    using namespace std;

int main () 
    {
      ofstream outfile;
      outfile.open ("test.txt");
      //outfile.open ("\\\\server/temp/test.txt");
      outfile << "Hello world";
      outfile.close();
      return 0;
    }
    The documentation does not specify what is a valid filename (path and filename). For example, will the "\\\\server\temp" path work on all operating systems to access a samba share? Does the constructor accept forward and backward slashes as folder separator on all operating systems?
    Before post, make an effort yourself, try googling or search here.

When posting, give a proper description of your problem, include code* and error messages.

*All code should include code tags

Re: ofstream valid path and name

Quote Originally Posted by laasunde View Post
    The documentation does not specify what is a valid filename (path and filename).
    That is because a valid name depends on the operating system, and the C++ specification says nothing about what makes a file name valid.
    For example, will the "\\\\server\temp" path work on all operating systems to access a samba share? Does the constructor accept forward and backward slashes as folder separator on all operating systems?
    I believe for standard C++ I/O functions, both forward and backward slashes are used as directory separators. For OS specific I/O functions (such as CreateFile), then the OS decides what is the directory separator.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie