CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question ActiveX component can't create object, pls. help

I have a vb6 program that works fine on my own developer machine, but when it is put on our test machine, I get the "ActiveX component can't create object" error. I pops up when the program loads, and quickly disappers again.
    How do I get it to tell me what's *really* wrong? Or at least which ActiveX (OCX?), COM or COM+ component that causes problems. I've heard that this error is often used by VB to say that "something" went wrong. I've tried to look at the eventlog, and there are some errors there where it babbles about the use of an /AUXSRUCE= parameter.

Anyone have a good idea?
    I've tried to reinstall my COM+ components if that caused problems.
    I've tried a program called Dependency Walker that can make a tree of dependencies, and it appears that the test machine and my own have the same dlls (although I might've missed something, as there are a LOT of files there).

Thanks in advance

Re: ActiveX component can't create object, pls. help

What are you using to install the project?
    Have you tried PDW?
    JG

... If your problem is fixed don't forget to mark your threads as resolved using the Thread Tools menu ...

Re: ActiveX component can't create object, pls. help

I just (a few minutes ago) got past that little problem. It was a dll that wasn't registered correctly and some missing dlls for that one. Regtlib and regsvr32 are my friends :-)

Now, however, I get a "method '~ ' of object '~ ' failed". It sems like something is wrong inside the dll that caused the previous problem. ****, I hate vb and com(+)...give me csharp any day <sigh>