CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

CreateProcess iexplore -getting dwThreadId.how to check status 'Active' or not

I need immediate help to launch iexplore using CreateProcess, then through next command button pinfo.dwThreadId to find Active or not

VB form has 3 command buttons

first command button
    lngRetValue = CreateProcess(vbNullString, "c:\program files (x86)\internet explorer\iexplore.exe", sec1, sec2, False, pclass, 0&, "C:\", sinfo, pinfo)
    hnd = pinfo.dwThreadId

It launching a new iexplore only when existing iexplore is there and I'm getting dwthreadid but when I transfer hwnd to threadid always shows same wrong id.
    ThreadID = hnd
    lhWnd = FindWindowEx(AddressOf EnumThreadWndActive, lhWnd, "IEFrame", vbNullString)
    pid = GetWindowThreadProcessId(hwnd, lpId)

and tried with below code also

If GetWindowThreadProcessId(lhWnd, tId) <> 0 Then 'Get the window's thread id
    If tId = pid Then InstanceToWnd = hwnd: ' If pid matches then exit
    End If

Expected the foll.functionality:
    I wanted to open iexplore and when ever ipress the button next next iexplore should be open with different threadid using createprocess.

In next command button based on that threadid I wanted to check whether iexplore window is active or not and another 3rd command button to close the particular Active iexplore based on threadid.

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: CreateProcess iexplore -getting dwThreadId.how to check status 'Active' or not

FindWindowEx returns after it has found out the first window having given class name and title. So it may and may not be the one you are looking for.
    To find out all the windows having given class name and title you could use EnumWindows API
    Victor Nijegorodov

Re: CreateProcess iexplore -getting dwThreadId.how to check status 'Active' or not

Please can you explain based on the foll.code. cmdlaunch to launching iexplore and getting dwThreadId but how do i connect this with GetWindowThreadProcessId->threadid beacuse I am not getting 'active' status everytime,one time it says 'Active' and next time 'Not Active' and when try to close the window it's not getting closing the particular window. I used ->[If lhWnd Then PostMessage lhWnd, WM_CLOSE, 0&, 0&].
    Code:
    Private Sub cmdLaunch_Click()
     sec1.nLength = Len(sec1)
        sec2.nLength = Len(sec2)
        sinfo.cb = Len(sinfo)
        sinfo.dwFlags = &H1
        sinfo.wShowWindow = 1
        pclass = &H80

lngRetValue = CreateProcess(vbNullString, "c:\program files (x86)\internet explorer\iexplore.exe", sec1, sec2, False, pclass, 0&, "C:\", sinfo, pinfo)
        hnd = pinfo.dwThreadId
        Debug.Print "dwThreadId ->" & CStr(hnd)
    End Sub

Private Sub cmdStatus_Click()
        Dim ThreadID As Long
        Dim lProcessId As Long
        Dim lthreadid As Long
        ThreadID = hnd

On Error Resume Next
        appStatus = False

lthreadid = GetWindowThreadProcessId(hWnd, lProcessId)
        lCurrentThreadId = lthreadid
        Debug.Print "Thread ID ->" & CStr(lthreadid)
        Call fEnumWindows(lthreadid)

If appStatus Then
            MsgBox "Active"
        Else
            MsgBox "Not active"
        End If
    End Sub

Public Function fEnumWindows(lcurrentThread As Long) As Boolean
    Dim hWnd As Long
    Dim lthreadid As Long
    fEnumWindows = False

Call EnumWindows(AddressOf fEnumWindowsCallBack, lcurrentThread)
    fEnumWindows = True
    End Function
    Public Function fEnumWindowsCallBack(ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal lpData As Long) As Long
    Dim lResult    As Long
    Dim lthreadid  As Long
    Dim lProcessId As Long
    Dim sWndName   As String
    Dim sClassName As String

fEnumWindowsCallBack = 0
    lthreadid = GetWindowThreadProcessId(hWnd, lProcessId)
    Debug.Print "Enum Processid" & lProcessId
    If lthreadid = lpData Then
        Debug.Print "Enum " & lthreadid
        fEnumWindowsCallBack = lthreadid
        appStatus = True
        Exit Function
    End If

End Function
    Last edited by DataMiser; January 30th, 2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: added code tags for readability

Hello! Help Please!
    VB Form and Module has below codes->It's working fine but not closing the exact "IExplore". createprocess dwThreadId not matching with lhWnd = FindWindowEx(0&, lhWnd, "IEFrame", vbNullString)
    lthreadid = GetWindowThreadProcessId(lhWnd, lProcessId)

and tried with Call EnumWindows(AddressOf EnumCallback, hWnd) also but I couldn't match dwthreadid with GetWindowThreadProcessId processId. I don't have any problem with notepad but Iexplore instance threadid totally not matching.
    So that I couldn't test whether it is Active or Not.

lngRetValue = CreateProcess(vbNullString, "c:\program files (x86)\internet explorer\iexplore.exe", sec1, sec2, False, pclass, ByVal 0&, "C:\", sinfo, pinfo)

hnd = pinfo.dwThreadId
    pnd = pinfo.dwProcessID

lProcessId = GetWindowThreadProcessId(lhWnd, lProcessId)

pnd and lProcessId never matching. Help please.

Expected Functionality.
    1. Open iexplore instance with createprocess--Working
    2. In next 'Status' command button to display the Status of iexplore ThreadId [Whether is active or not] - Not working with exact threadid. now just trying with Iframe
    3. 'Close' Command button to close that particular Iexplore based on threadid.
    Last edited by lalithaecw; February 1st, 2013 at 08:01 AM.

Please, stop posting unformatted code. It is very hars to read/understand.

Second, please, explain what you are trying to achieve? Please, provide a complete explanation of your goal, not just "how do i connect this with GetWindowThreadProcessId->threadid" words!

Third, why do you need a thread ID, not a process ID?

Besides, my VB knowledge is very poor, but in VC++ I'd do the following to obtain the window handle of the process spawned by CreateProcess API:
    1. call CreateProcess and be sure it returns TRUE
    2. obtain process handle from the PROCESS_INFORMATION structure
    3. call WaitForInputIdle to wait until the specified process is waiting for user input (to be sure its main window has been created)
    4. enumerate the windows using EnumWindows and passing Process Id as LPARAM; in EnumWindowsProc call GetWindowThreadProcessId and compare the vaue of the process id with the LPARAM.
    5. if the process ID will be the same as the one of your spawned application then stop enumeration and save the window handle.

Also see this KB
    Victor Nijegorodov

Expected Functionality.
    1. Open iexplore instance with createprocess--Working
    2. In next 'Status' command button to display the Status of iexplore ThreadId [Whether is active or not] - Not working with exact threadid. now just trying with Iframe
    3. 'Close' Command button to close that particular Iexplore based on threadid. ->Now Closing all Internet explore or Explicitly setting threadid. Pls. see the below code

lthreadid = GetWindowThreadProcessId(lhWnd, lProcessId)
    lCurrentThreadId = lthreadid
    Based on lcurrentthreaid and checking active status and closing the particular iexplore. but I could not match the pinfo.dwthreadid with hwnd threadid. If tried the same flow with processId also still not showing matching value.Help please.
    Last edited by lalithaecw; February 1st, 2013 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lalithaecw View Post
    Expected Functionality.
    Define "Not working"
    Victor Nijegorodov

Have you tried using GetActiveWindow or GetForegroundWindow? Also, have you considered ShellExecute or ShellExecuteEx to open a new iexplorer window? Seems to me you could use the window handle, and don't really need the ThreadID at all.
    Please remember to rate the posts and threads that you find useful.
    How can something be both new and improved at the same time?