CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
    John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

A specific DebugCRT version

Where / how do I obtain a particular version of the Debug CRT? Specifically, I'm looking for DebugCRT 8.50727.6195. Only one of my development machines has it and the others don't (although I think I've installed the same Visual Studio with the service packs). Most times it isn't an issue but occasionally I might want to copy a Debug DLL from one machine to another (e.g. to save having to rebuild the whole project on the other machine) but it's a real PITA when one machine is more recent than the others.

Alternatively, how can I uninstall a specific version of the DebugCRT?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Re: A specific DebugCRT version

Isn't putting the crt files you want in the same folder as the exe and your debug dll sufficient?
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
    Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by
    definition, not smart enough to debug it.
    - Brian W. Kernighan

To enhance your chance's of getting an answer be sure to read
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/announ...nouncementid=6
    and http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366302 before posting

Refresh your memory on formatting tags here
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

Get your free MS compiler here
    https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs

In theory, yes - if I could determine which DLLs. Normally, when there's a missing DLL, you get a message saying something like "XYZ failed to start because MSVCRT80D.dll wasn't found on your system". But in the case of an outdated CRT you get a different message:- "The application configuration is incorrect. Please check the manifest information for this application" (or something along those lines). I could probably figure out which DLLs are needed by trial and error but it would be much simpler to install the missing CRT on the system that hasn't got it - or alternatively, remove it from the other system so they'll both be in sync.

I think this might be the procedure although I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

This may seem too much naive, but can't you install the same VC8 CRT on all of your machines?
    Best regards,
    Igor

Igor - wouldn't that just install the non-Debug CRT? It's the Debug CRT that I need. I assumed it must have gotten installed via one of my VS service packs but I must be wrong about that because Control Panel shows the same service packs installed on all machines. Or maybe it got installed automatically via a Windows automatic update but I doubt if an automatic update would install Debug CRT components.

Sure. I said "install" that you literally understood as running some install package. But what I meant is copying the required dlls to substitute existent ones.

For example, my VS10 includes the following folder: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\redist\Debug_NonRedist" which includes correspondent DebugCRT dlls.

Inspecting some running debug app you can see what debug dlls resides where. My guess is you just can replace the dlls and take care about updating registry in regard to runtime version:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0_Config\VC\Runtimes
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0_Config\VC\VCRedist

As this version difference exist only on a single machine, your maximum risk is a single VS may be broken. Which VS can be ultimately either repaired or re-installed.

BTW, did you try to re-install the problem VS with the later version you used on other machines?
    Best regards,
    Igor