CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Extracting Stuff from an IHTMLDocument2 in C++ ?

Hi guys,

I got as far as getting a web page into an IHTMLDocument2 but I don't know what to do from there, all the examples I found are C# or .NET or something else I don't understand.

Will someone please give me a simple example in C++ of getting all the links from an IHTMLDocument2 ?

I was able to do this:

Code:
    IHTMLElementCollection* collection;
    hResult=document->get_links(&collection);
    long nLinks;
    collection->get_length(&nLinks); // returns correct number
    collection->Release();
    How do I loop through the collection and extract the actual links ? Also, if they come out as BSTR do I simple treat them as WCHAR* ? If I can do that I can figure out the rest myself.

Thanks a lot.

Re: Extracting Stuff from an IHTMLDocument2 in C++ ?

Best regards,
    Igor

Re: Extracting Stuff from an IHTMLDocument2 in C++ ?

Quote Originally Posted by endemoniada View Post
    How do I loop through the collection and extract the actual links ? Also, if they come out as BSTR do I simple treat them as WCHAR* ? If I can do that I can figure out the rest myself.
    1) you can use get_links() or you can also use the more generic getElementsByTagName or getElementsByName (requires IHtmlDocument3)
    As said by Igor... Use the item() member to iterate the element collection.

2) a BSTR is not a WCHAR*
    Used correctly you can 'sometimes' treat a BSTR as a const WCHAR* in your own code without defect (such as passing it to a Win API function).
    The reverse will likely not work, and could crash your app. (casting a WCHAR* to a BSTR is a nono)

If you're using MFC/ATL. You can use CComBSTR in lieu of a BSTR, the CComBSTR will have a lot of behaviour similarities to MFC's CString (or CStringW to be more precise). The advantage of CComBSTR over plain BSTR is automatic creation/cleanup.