CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

New and starting with Ruby. Is that a good idea?

Hello everyone!

I just got my first taste of coding/programming. I went online searching for some courses. I ended up starting with Ruby.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a Noobie? My goal is to either get a career in the industry, or start a business in the industry. or get a career, then start a business!

Anyways, I'm just curious what everyone thinks about a beginner starting with Ruby.

My goals are to be able to build websites, and make mobile and or Tablet apps. for now. I wanted to connect with everyone, and immerse myself in the technology/software/internet industry.

Re: New and starting with Ruby. Is that a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsCurry View Post
    Anyways, I'm just curious what everyone thinks about a beginner starting with Ruby.
    It could be a good idea to avoid the beaten path (Java, C/C++, C#, Object-C) and go for something more exotic. I know some Computer Science programs start out with Lisp but that's mainly to shake up Freshmen with a previous programming background who are already set in their ways of thinking, and to level the playing field for those with less programming experience.

Still I do think you should know a more conventional language too.