CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

MDI forms (VS GUI)

Hi folks.

Does anyone know of any tools to convert the VS Interface back to an MDI environment as it used to be in VS2005? There used to be an add on for 2010 I used, but I can't find anything for 2012.

Thanks.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: MDI forms (VS GUI)

Are you referring to the Visual Studio IDE itself or one of its project templates?

Hi, the VS IDE itself.
    Cheers.

Not that I know off, but have you tried using the tabs? You might like them.

The tabs can be "torn off" by simply dragging them with the mouse. That turns them into a floating window, much like an MDI child. I'm only really sure that works with the code editor tabs, but I think it works with the others as well. I'm not sure whether that does what the OP desires, tough. And I don't have much experience with how they behave that way, since I like the tabbed layout and always use that. (Actually, I discovered the "tear off" functionality merely by accident... )

HTH
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Yes, they can be dragged down into the 'well' but the position and state are not persistent. I find it so much easier to write code for a form if I can see it at the same time.

It's not a show stopper, just a shame it's made so awkward now.

Quote Originally Posted by tclancey View Post
    Yes, they can be dragged down into the 'well' but the position and state are not persistent. I find it so much easier to write code for a form if I can see it at the same time.

It's not a show stopper, just a shame it's made so awkward now.
    So you just want to have two windows open at the same time? You can do this by opening two files in the tab view, such at a form and the code behind, right click on one of the files and then choose "New Horizontal Tab Group" or "New Vertical Tab Group".

No it's not really that as such. I would just like the ability to have a less rigid window environment, like VB6, VS2005, 2008. There is a fist full of ways to display windows in VS2012, but everything revolves around the tabbed well, I would prefer a way of working more like multiple MDI child forms as a setting.

Personally I would be able to work faster with this approach, but if it doesn't exist I will get used to the tabs. I can 'tear' off a window as and when I really need to.

Thanks folks.

Quote Originally Posted by tclancey View Post
    Yes, they can be dragged down into the 'well' but the position and state are not persistent. [...]
    Really? Actually, I was surprised (as I said, I don't really have any sigificant experience with that) that when I just re-opened the test project I used for this purpose prior to writing post #5, the code editor window I tested this on did just that: It retained both the floating state and window bounds. (VC++ 2010 Express)
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.