SELECT
    <fields>
    FROM
    <tables>
    WHERE
    <complex condition on non-indexed fields>
    ORDER BY
    <indexed fields>

Now further suppose the database is very large (as in hundredthousands of records)

And this query is part of a webservice (which is what I'm writing) used from a third party website (which I'm not).

In order to limit the time the DB is busy processing the request, and because I don't want to return potentially thousands of records at once, I want to retrieve a set number of records at a time which would be presented on the website one page at a time with previous/next buttons.

I know I can restrict the sql query with say "TOP 10", but what would be a good way to do the next page (11 to 20) and the page after (21 to 30) etc. in such a way that the DB doesn't have to restart the entire query over from the start. or in other words, what's the "optimal way" to continue a previous (set of) TOP X

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: continuing a previous SELECT TOP X query

Are you using SQL 2012? If so, can you use the new fetch/offset order by parameters?

http://sql-articles.com/articles/gen...l-server-2012/

We haven't settled on a DB manager yet, ideally we would want to be supporting several. I'm not sure we can "require" MSSQL 2012, some of our smaller customers might have budget issues with that. A more generic solution would be prefered.

I'm not sure I fully understand the Offset / Fetch next approach. Or rather, how the DB manages to optimize this efficiently. The issue here is the "complex condition".

if I do an offset X, fetch next Y. How does this prevent the DB from starting the query all over again, and rerunning the query to find the first X records. It is very possible that it may need to process thousands and thousands of records to obtain the first top X.

If what the DB does is "fetch top X+Y, and don't return first X in the resultset" then this probably won't work efficiently enough.

Quote Originally Posted by OReubens View Post
    if I do an offset X, fetch next Y. How does this prevent the DB from starting the query all over again, and rerunning the query to find the first X records. It is very possible that it may need to process thousands and thousands of records to obtain the first top X.

If what the DB does is "fetch top X+Y, and don't return first X in the resultset" then this probably won't work efficiently enough.
    I don't know how it works internally. Could you take some performance metrics and see if the results return consistently? If the implementation internally is correct, I would expect the timings of the last set of records to be similar to the first set.

I don't have MSSQL 2012 installed, so can't do any tests atm, nor can I easily convert the current database to MSSQL. This whole thing is currently ISAM based, and I'm looking at doing the same functionality with the SQL/ODBC layer, so we can transitionaway from ISAM and into relational. With ISAM, this whole thing is easy enough, we simply return the record position for each record, and for a next/previous, we call the webservice with either the record position of the first record in the current "page" (for a previous) or the last record (for a next).

Ideally we want this to work with any db that has a sufficiently compatible SQL syntax/features. We have customers on MSSQL already, but for the smaller customers, MSSQL really isn't an option because of the pricing.

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

How about Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Express? It is free...
    Victor Nijegorodov

Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    How about Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Express? It is free...
    Yep. MS now has several low cost SQL options.

not really useful if it needs to be multiuser now is it
    of did MS change the express to be simultaneously multiuser now ?

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

I use SQL server beginning with the 2008 Express version. I never heard about any multiuser problem with it.
    FYI:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...5-785831d319ec
    http://www.sqlmag.com/article/databa...capable--49736
    Victor Nijegorodov

Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    I use SQL server beginning with the 2008 Express version. I never heard about any multiuser problem with it.
    FYI:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...5-785831d319ec
    http://www.sqlmag.com/article/databa...capable--49736
    From
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlse...s/express.aspx
    SQL Server Express is a free edition of SQL Server ideal for developing and powering desktop, web and small server applications