CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Problem with large pointer array

Hello,
    I am working on a program which creates a large pointer array of numbers and then performs several iterations of operations in them.
    Code:
    int * u = new int[N];
    double * nu = new double[N];
    int * nud = new int[N];
    for (int i=0;i<M;i++){

for (int i=0;i<N;i++){
        u[i]=0;
        nu[i]=0;
        nud[i]=0;
         }

(perform some operations on nu and nud, increment a counter)

}
    If M is small enough then there are no problems in the program. However once M is large enough I get the "unhanded exception":

std::bad_alloc at memory location 0x0026f728..

Since I am just reusing the same arrays, and since I am able to make it through a few iterations, I didn't think it could be a memory issue. If it is, is there a way I can clear the data completely after each iteration?

Thanks!

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: Problem with large pointer array

You don't think bad_alloc is a memory issue? How big does N have to be to fail?

N is only around 4000. What bothers me is that I get bad_alloc after completing the first few iterations. If it was a memory problem I would expect it to fail during the first initialization. If M is set <7 it runs fine, but any greater and I get the unhandled exeption.

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

I don't see anything. Can you post complete code for a small program that reproduces the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by goliath11 View Post
    Since I am just reusing the same arrays, and since I am able to make it through a few iterations, I didn't think it could be a memory issue.
    Well, let's see the complete program. A naked psuedo function with a call to new[] doesn't tell us anything. What if that missing code is corrupting the heap in some way?

For example, why are you using the same "i" in the nested loop as a counter in both loops? That in itself is a bug.
    If it is, is there a way I can clear the data completely after each iteration?
    Post a complete program. so that we know how to analyze the problem. So far, what you posted is incomplete, and it has a bug.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie