CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Jpeg Decoder

Jpeg Decoder

Hi everyone,

I am using C/C++, and I am trying to decode a jpeg image. My images are small in size (320x240), but the processor that the code has to run on is very slow.

I found that some of my options are libjpeg and OpenCV (even though I haven't worked with any of these libraries before).

Before I start downloading all the library files, I would need some help as far as which one would decode images faster?

My main concern is speed. Does anyone have some idea which one would be a slightly faster decoder compared to the other one?

If anyone knows of any other decoder library (for C/C++) that is even faster, please advise.

I would appreciate some help.

Thanks,
    --Rudy

Re: Jpeg Decoder

Since you seem to be targeting a specific platform, I would just test the performance of different libraries on some real data with your target platform.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

Re: Jpeg Decoder

libjpeg-turbo is a branch of libjpeg6 that has dramatically increased performance. It's used by Firefox, Chrome, Fedora...