CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Find and Open a File on Remote Computer

I have a file on one server(Windows 2003) and need to access from another server (IIS server - Windows 2008) , I have written the program for the same which works fine and I can access the file.

But when this comes to the DLL (which registered successfully on Windows 2008), its not able to find the file on Windows 2003.

What could be possible reasons, please help !!!

Thanks in advance!

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Find and Open a File on Remote Computer

For the moment, forget your program. From the Windows 2008 computer can you see/access the file on the Windows 2003 computer using sharing and Windows Explorer? There are various security policy settings re network that can cause this problem, so these need to be checked first.

Quote Originally Posted by Umesh... View Post
    But when this comes to the DLL (which registered successfully on Windows 2008), its not able to find the file on Windows 2003.
    Could you elaborate a bit on the DLL being registered somewhere? Do you mean that the DLL is COM server?
    Best regards,
    Igor

Yes, I can access the file from Windows 2008 on the Windows 2003. I have written one small seperate program in c++ which runs on Windows 2088 and accesses files from Windows 2003.

The DLL contains the C++ code which search for a file and try to open it.
    The DLL need to be registered on Windows 2008 and the the function to search a file will be called from the ASP code.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

@umesh, can you answer the questions asked in post #3?

I have saved the DLL in C:\Windows\Syswow64 folder on Windows 2008 and then registered using regsvr32 command.
    Yes, the DLL is COM server.

Is the dll 32 bit or 64 bit? If 64 bit, is the 2003 system 32 or 64?

If you have access to the dll source code, I'd recommend creating a debug build and add some trace statements (or logging) to the dll to see what's going on.

It could be a permissions problem, different path, or a host of other problems. You need to trace/log to find out exactly where things are going wrong.

Yes, I can access the file from Windows 2008 on the Windows 2003. I have written one small seperate program in c++ which runs on Windows 2088 and accesses files from Windows 2003.
    Okay, how much you know about COM servers? Are you aware you need to register COM server in the system where you are to invoke one? So did you register it? Otherwise, which way you create the class the DLL hosts?
    Best regards,
    Igor

@Arjay The DLL is 32 bit and I need to register it on Windows 2008 - 64 bit system.

Do you have any idea, if it makes any difference and if yes then whats that exactlly .... Please help!

Do you have any idea, if it makes any difference and if yes then whats that exactlly .... Please help!
    I am trying to help, did you see my previous response?

If you have access to the dll source code, I'd recommend creating a debug build and add some trace statements (or logging) to the dll to see what's going on.

It could be a permissions problem, different path, or a host of other problems. You need to trace/log to find out exactly where things are going wrong.
    What I mean here is you are going to have to debug the dll. Either step through the code in a debugger, attach a remote debugger to a debug build of the dll, or add some trace statements and logging.

Okay, I have found that I am getting error code 5 (i.e. Access denied for the user) by using GetLastError() method.

Now, I have tried to resolve this issue by providing all the access rights to the user, but still I am getting same issue(Error code 5)

Okay, I have found that I am getting error code 5 (i.e. Access denied for the user) by using GetLastError() method.

Now, I have tried to resolve this issue by providing all the access rights to the user, but still I am getting same issue(Error code 5)
    If the dll is running under IIS, you may need to grant the IIS or app-pool account access.

That's amazing. All this long thread, it does not give a single clue, when the problem happens. Is it registration? Or object creation? Else?
    Best regards,
    Igor

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    If the dll is running under IIS, you may need to grant the IIS or app-pool account access.
    Thanks for the tip Arjay... I am trying the way you suggested but till now its not been resolved.

Please keep posting if anyone has the clue for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast