CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Transferring a C++ application from VS 2010 to another environment...

all,

I have a request from someone else to see a C++ example of work, which is what this thread is about:

http://forums.codeguru.com/showthrea...on-by-position

what I'm not understanding here is *what* exactly I should send to them. VS 2010 is such a complex beast and produces a lot of unnecessary stuff during a build in this regard.

The other person I'm sure is running a different environment even on a different OS (but that's more or less irrelevant for this purpose).

My question is: If I have to remotely transfer examples in a C/C++ environment to someone across the globe or even across the country, wouldn't make sense to say that there is only a need to transfer any header files and any source files that are needed? I'm no expert in C++ but it seems to me that the person on the other end should know what to do with those files if that is all that was sent.

does that make sense?

thanks.

Re: Transferring a C++ application from VS 2010 to another environment...

I'm sorry, what I meant to say was any files that were relevant to the execution of the program rather than just 'h' files and 'cpp' files. there are much more resources that go into some cpp programs. but in the one I'm referring to, there isn't.

If you want to send someone your source code and they also work with VS 2010, then you should include any project files (*.vcxproj) and the solution file (*.sln). That way they don't have to make their own project and import your header/source files. Other files like *.ncb, *.pdb, etc. will be recreated by VS when someone opens/builds the solution.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

Quote Originally Posted by D_Drmmr View Post
    If you want to send someone your source code and they also work with VS 2010, then you should include any project files (*.vcxproj) and the solution file (*.sln). That way they don't have to make their own project and import your header/source files. Other files like *.ncb, *.pdb, etc. will be recreated by VS when someone opens/builds the solution.
    yes. that makes good sense. but what about other C++ environments?? More than likely they are using some strange environment outside of VS. There's too many to count anymore.

What I'm really looking to get at here is, regardless of what they have on their end, shouldn't cpp files and .h files always suffice to some degree? In other words, if they know anything at all about what they're doing, would those files be the only things they need in order to plug them into something else and be able to run their own program?

I'm thinking so.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ajetrumpet View Post
    yes. that makes good sense. but what about other C++ environments?? More than likely they are using some strange environment outside of VS. There's too many to count anymore.

What I'm really looking to get at here is, regardless of what they have on their end, shouldn't cpp files and .h files always suffice to some degree? In other words, if they know anything at all about what they're doing, would those files be the only things they need in order to plug them into something else and be able to run their own program?
    Then you have to make sure you write ANSI/ISO C++ and send the header and source files. Any compliant compiler must be able to compile that.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

Quote Originally Posted by D_Drmmr View Post
    Then you have to make sure you write ANSI/ISO C++ and send the header and source files. Any compliant compiler must be able to compile that.
    well according to this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI_C

VS C++ does just that. no need to be concerned with something like that.

this is not a big enough project to really care though. it's only a pre-cursor.

If your code uses IDE specific frameworks you might have a problem.

If your code calls operating specific functions and it is to be compiled on another operating system, then you will have a problem.