Noob questions on C++ relating to DAW's and musicand programming in general
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Noob questions on C++ relating to DAW's and musicand programming in general

Noob questions on C++ relating to DAW's and musicand programming in general

Hi

This is my first post and if this is in the wrong area please feel free to point me where a beginner should ask questions. That being said I am a total noob to coding and am interested in the best resources to learn C++ programming (to start) or visual studio 2012. in the broader picture i am a musician and have a home recording studio and was told the DAW's we use are mostly programmed in C++ and i am interested in learning how to make my own.

an example of this would be Reaper, programmed by Justin Frankel

www.reaper.fm

i am truly interested in all things music as well and how coding can help build apps, programs, plugins etc and how they can be incorporated into music making

so id there are other programs along with C++ that would go into this i would be happy to check those out as well. i knwo its a long road but i really would like to dig in and see where this takes me

thanks for any help getting started

John E is online now Elite Member Power Poster

Re: Noob questions on C++ relating to DAW's and musicand programming in general

Hi Trock and welcome to the forums. As it happens, I'm a DAW developer myself. I work on Harrison's Mixbus DAW. I don't want to put you off but DAWs are complex, heavy duty programs with thousands of source modules. They're not really suitable for a beginner but don't let that put you off. If you're planning to write something for Windows you might want to get involved with Traverso. You can also look at Ardour which is functionally more advanced (in fact, we use it in Mixbus) but Ardour is far better suited to programmers with Linux experience.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved. - Charles F. Kettering

Hey John

wow, harrison is very cool, love how it looks! i havent used it as i am mainly on C7 and havent really felt the need to branch out but i was always really impressed with it and the reviews

yeah, i kinda figured it wasnt something i was going to be able to do anytime soon. is there a good book or source to get started in programming? is C++ still the language to get started in? as i looked further i had no idea there were so many languages! haha

i just want to be creative and thought this would be fun to learn. i downloaded visual studio 2012 express but now am not sure where to turn and go. i logged into code academy and watched some youtube vids but since my love is music stuff i would kind of like to know what languge to even begin with!

thanks for the help!

C++ is definitely the language you should be learning but I wouldn't recommend you to dive straight into a DAW. That's a bit like looking for a career in boat building but wanting to build an ocean going liner as your very first project. Start off with a simple media player (although even a media player will probably be too complex for a beginner). Here's one that i found over at The Code Project. There are probably simpler ones if you search there. A media player will teach you the general principles of playing audio but you'll need a good programming book too. When it comes to books I always recommend spending some time in a physical bookshop. There's no substitute for being able to browse through a shelf full of books to find one that suits you. Good luck.

cool

thanks John!

i have already purchased Ivor Hortons C++ beginners book for 2012. I will be making little colored squares on the screen for quite a while

thanks for the help!

Snap! I learned quite a lot from Ivor Horton. You won't go far wrong with his books.