CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Very new to this language

I just started learning C# today, I ordered a book but I couldn't wait to get started.

My experience: alot of Python not much else...

I looked around your learning C# sticky but it didn't answer my question so here it is.

I've added the C# compiler csc.exe path to my Environment Variables System Variables field in Windows. I have command line open and am in a folder with three .cs files.

To compile them I type csc.exe FILENAME in the command prompt at the folder location of the FILENAME correct?

This does not work, it tells me: 'csc' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. But I've added the compilers executable path to my System Variables. What is wrong?

Thank you for your responses and patience with my ignorance.

Re: Very new to this language

also I'm using Microsoft Visual C# 2010 to compose code.

Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

Thanks for that resource, it ended up being much simpler than that.

Once you change your environment variables such as 'Path' the computer MUST be rebooted before the changes will take affect.

also it's weird but my version of the SDK didn't come with a vsvars32.bat file for reconfiguration of the path. So I guess you have to do the path change manually.

Happy coding!
    -Thomas

Once you change your environment variables such as 'Path' the computer MUST be rebooted before the changes will take affect.
    I don't think that is correct. I have modified the path environmental variable before without needing to restart for effect. However, open command line consoles will not detect the change if they were opened before the change.
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    http://blog.biophysengr.net
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.