CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Why should I buy VisualStudio Pro "with MSDN"?

Hello,

We use Visual Studio to develop small applications in C# (usually interface drivers).

- Till now we have been using VS2008 Professional and are now planning to buy VS2012 Professional.

- There are 2 options either to buy it with MSDN or without MSDN. The price difference is more than double.

- I am still not convinced why we should buy with MSDN.
    ...If it is only about MSDN library for help (Press F1 on a function and it will show you online help if MSDN is not installed)
    ...If it is about online forums, community, tech support etc, even then its not worth it (for us) because the application we develop are small and in past 4 years I never had a feeling where I needed such support.

???? I would like to know from you why did you buy VS2012 Pro with MSDN????

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: Why should I buy VisualStudio Pro "with MSDN"?

Msdn is much more than the online or installed help, for example, access to other Microsoft software. Buy it if you need it.

From http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/buy

Why buy an MSDN Subscription?

Software development doesn’t stand still—you push the technology envelope one day, and then need yesterday’s platforms and tools to support legacy apps the next. An MSDN Subscription gives you access to Microsoft platforms and tools from the past and present, with new releases being added all the time. Plus, since it includes Team Foundation Server, you get the tools you need to work well with others. And now you have services to take your apps to the cloud, Windows Store, and Windows Phone Marketplace. Get an MSDN Subscription and raise your development game.
    The following link gives an idea of what is available at the different subscription levels.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/hh442902.aspx

Re: Why should I buy VisualStudio Pro "with MSDN"?

I bought MSDN Pro before VS2012 was released. I was then able to download VS2012 before it was released and was sent a copy on DVD when it was released, Same for Windows 8 and SQL Server 2012 as well as having access to download Windows 7, Vista, XP for testing and other versions of VS 2003-2012 and some earlier languages as well.

If you need access to the other languages, SQL Server and/or the other Operating Systems for testing then it is a good deal. If you only want to get VS2012 then it is not a good deal.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.