CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Best way to understand a new library

Hi,

I am currently struggling to understand a new C# library. I currently using the debugger to see the flow of code and value of variables inside methods. There are a lot of loops and if/else branches.

However I also would like to understand the big picture. For that I would like to get something like a nice execution diagram (maybe even with times spend in a certain method).
    If it's not possible to visualize it, I would settle with simply a 'list' of executed methods in the sequence they are called.

I am also open and thankful for any other approaches that help me understand this library (just reading the documentation is not cutting it).

I am relatively new to Visual Studio 2010 so maybe this is a stupid question but Google didn't really find me what I am looking for. I am open to any suggestions

Cheers,
    sb

Re: Best way to understand a new library

I read about the Visual Studio Profiler. It is just for Performance Profiling, correct? Maybe this is I tool I could use (I don't have it installed now).

I just want to be able to press a button and record all method calls (and possibly the time spend in each method) as a list of execution flow or even better as a visualization where I see how the code is executed after pressing the button.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

You can use the profiler to get the execution times. You can also add a Class Diagram to the project and drag in the classes from the assembly. This will give you diagram of the class and method relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    You can use the profiler to get the execution times. You can also add a Class Diagram to the project and drag in the classes from the assembly. This will give you diagram of the class and method relationships.
    I already did a class diagram but it didn't help me really to understand the code.

I don't have a Profiler (maybe I don't have it installed - with Visual Studio 2010 is there an installer?).

Any other way besides the installer?

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

The profiler comes with non-express versions of Visual Studio.

Stepping through the code may be your best bet.

if the library is using the a older version then .net 4.5
    you can probably still use the CLR profiler from microsoft
    which is standalone to get a better picture of whats going on
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/searc...ateorder=1_5_2