CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Re: Building a test - Basic C#

I need to edit the text on this a little bit, but go ahead and check out:

Tech IQ: Are You Better than a C# Rookie?
    http://www.codeguru.com/quizzes/tech...-c-rookie.html

No going backwards, so make sure you pick the right answer the first time!

Brad!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Re: Building a test - Basic C#

As a note - this is the first Tech IQ to get posted. There are some bugs we are still working to fix. For example, the text has been initial cap'd. It shouldn't be. That is being fixed. If you see any other issues with the functionality of this, feel free to chime in.

If you want to create a new Tech IQ, I've created a guideline document that is also rough, but I'll go ahead and attach it.

Attachment 31181

Brad!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Re: New feature - Tech IQs

I copied the above two posts from the C# forum. The Tech IQs are a few feature I'm building on the site. It isn't anything revolutionary, but it is different.

I'm interested in getting a number of additional Tech IQs built on various languages and topics.

Brad!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Q6 - Class fields and poperties represent behaviors, while methods store state.

Q9 - How objects of different types generally interact?

oops. 9/13
    Last edited by dglienna; March 23rd, 2013 at 02:01 AM.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Aaah - didn't realize there was a thread in the feedback section; I'll just repost what I said back at the original thread in C# forums, and add a few things along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatCthulhu View Post
    There's an error on the first question - the correct answer is 3 (the one with the static Main()). When an option different than 1 is chosen, the error/info message (wrongly) says that the right answer is 1, but correctly displays the code from the answer 3.

BTW: you can re-do the test by deleting codeguru.com cookies (specifically, the one with the name "b2b_techIQ_CSharpBeginning").
    A comment on Q6 - aside from the spelling error in one of the options, there's something else to it, that could perhaps be incorporated into the error message response. The original requirement was that this would be a basic C# test, something for C# beginners. Now, granted, beginners probably won't get all he answers right, but this is not a bad thing, because the error messages can be used to clarify some rather important and fundamental information. So, I think that the wrong answer responses deserve more work.
    Now, specifically about Q6; of the answers offered, the "Class fields and properties are used to represent state, while methods implement behaviors." is the most accurate, but there is a catch. Properties are just syntactic sugar for the get/set methods (mutator methods), so technically, they can be considered behaviors as well. However, I wouldn't expect a C# rookie to know this, or understand why get/set methods are used in OOP. Furthermore, it seems that this is made worse by teachers, who fail to explain this, and how properties and backing fields relate, and simply use auto properties (with implicit backing fields - which means that to a beginner, properties appear no different than a class member variable... In fact, when they encounter properties in their true form for the first time, backing fields appear redundant to them - and there have been questions about that on the forums). So, this is what I had in mind when I proposed the question (and answers).

Also, a minor annoyance: when the text of an option wraps around to the next line, and comes directly under the radio button, the button becomes somewhat harder to check (at least in Firefox - the bottom half of the radio button becomes unclickable, and my browser selects text instead - I suppose this can be fixed with some CSS magic).

@dglienna: What about Q9? Maybe it could be phrased better? The idea is, since practically everything in C# is an object, to communicate that, in OOP, objects are primarily meant to interact by calling public methods on each other (and from this basis more complex and indirect scenarios may arise).