CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Pyramid of stars with spaces

Hello, i'm totally beginer, can somebody help me solve this (for cycle)?

Name:  31470_4423156869762_496554738_n.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  12.5 KB

Thanks in advance.

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: Pyramid of stars with spaces

Yes, but we're not a do your homework service, or a substitute for your classes or books. What have you got and where are you stuck?

Yes it is homework, but i really don't know how to solve it. I spend with it about hour.:/

So, what exactly is the assignment?

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by confused93 View Post
    Yes it is homework, but i really don't know how to solve it. I spend with it about hour.:/
    Then spend a few more hours, or days or weeks. Start at the beginning of the book and read and reread till it makes sense. You need some understanding of the basics before this forum can help you.

You'll need a for loop and the cout statement.

I need program which draw this nice pyramid with for cycle, N=number of lines...
    i need only content of for cycle

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

I spend with it about hour.:/
    So how far have you got? Post the code you've got so far (even if it doesn't compile or work) and we'll give you some pointers towards your next steps. As it's homework we can't write the code for you as that would be considered cheating. If you are having trouble learning the basics from your tutor you might want to look at these on-line tutorials for c++.

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
    http://www.learncpp.com/

Have you used the cout statement in previous programs you're written and got to work properly? Have you used a for loop before?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

#include <iostream>
    #include "funkce.h"
    using std::endl;
    using std::cout;

void pyramida(int N, char symbol){

for(int i=0; i<N; i++){
    cout << symbol << string(i, " ") << endl;
    }

}
    i need to find right logical condition into for

When you post code, please could you use [code] tags. I should have mentioned this in post #7. Click Go Advanced, select code then click '#'. A couple of pointers.

Code:
    cout << symbol << string(i, " ") << endl;
    With string() you are trying to create a string of i spaces. However, this will give a compiler error as the space needs to be in single quotes for a character rather than double quotes for a string. Also cout prints from left to right. So you are first printing the symbol and then printing a number of spaces and then a new line!!
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

Have you actually tried to compile and run this progam? You need to have a main() function that calls your pyramida() function. As you are using the string class, you will also need to have #include <string> as well togther with using std::string; Try compiling and running this program. Look at the output and then see if you can figure out what else needs to go in the for loop to produce the triangle.

Happy coding

Yes, i have function.cpp, function.h and main.cpp but all what i need is logical condition into for cycle

Code:
    void pyramida(int N, char symbol){

cout << symbol << endl;
    	    for(int i=0; i<N; i++){
    		cout << string(i, ' ') << endl;
    }

Try this for a starter hint. See what it displays and then see if you can add the code to complete it.

Code:
    void pyramida(int N, char symbol)
    {
        for (int i = 0; i < N; i++){
    	cout << string(i, ' ');
    	cout << symbol << endl;
         }
    }

I solved it. Thank you.