CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Post How to Create Auto Bill number in Data Report

Dear Friends & Buddies,

I have a Bill Receipt designed in DataReport, the other Fields are & could be placed in the report without any problems
    But I can not place the Bill number in the Page header section..
    Please help
    Thanking you
    Rahul

Re: How to Create Auto Bill number in Data Report

Because HEADER will print on every page, and can't be changed for each bill.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Post Re: How to Create Auto Bill number in Data Report

Dear Dglienna,

I have one bill only, My client does not need to printout sheet after sheet.
    het wants one Page bill printout that too with : Invoice number: 001
    Where do I put the BillNo field.

Please help.

Thanking you
    Rahul

Set the data through code.

I do not use the Vb data report. I use Active Reports instead but I think the Vb Data Report supports some of the same methods.

In Active reports I would simply have a label on the header. AR has an event named format header. In this event I would set the caption of that label to the number I want on the report and that is what will print.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

I've used a Rich Text Box to replace and insert it's fields into a RTF file. Here's the skeleton that gets fields, bold, italics, etc before it's printed.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Thank you Dglienna,
    Thank you very much for the guide lines.
    One more question:
    My Stock Datareport contains 4313 pages, when I click show Stock It shows only 1 (First) page there are no navigation controls or anything,but when I save It shows 4313 pages saved in .html format & literally there are all the pages showing.My question is how do I see the remaining pages of Datareport when the DataReport is displayed on the Screen?

Thanking you
    Rahul

Easiest way is to save it automatically, then OPEN the html report! I don't use Data Reader. I created that file, and it prints out as many pages as are necessary. There are three OTHER reports in that program. VB6 doesn't make it easy to create reports.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

Dear dglienna,

1)I tried your options to put a label in Datareport & control it through code, It miserably failed !!! a Message appeared you can not insert an automated object in this section.
    2) My program while trying to save data says " Out of Stack space" !!! what is the meaning of this.
    Please Help
    Thanks
    Rahul

If Bill #1 = Page #1, then just change the LABEL and use PAGE#
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

I had a look at the report tool in vb to see what it supports compared to the one I use. I'm glad I do not have to use it. I created a new report added a label to the page header and then clicked on the page header to get the code window and checked what events were available. By default it goes to report error event. If I do the same thign with Active Reports by default it creates a stub for PageHeaderFormat, there are also events for BeforePrint and AfterPrint which can be used. So in active reports it is as simple as
    Code:
    Private Sub PageHeader_Format()
    Label1.Caption = MyReportID
    End Sub
    These events are available for every section of a report and allows you to modify any data, font, color as you like all through code just like if you were working with a VB Form object.

I've switched to this tool back in VB5 from Crystal and fell in love with it the first day I used it so until now I had never looked at the VB report tool. Unfortunately Active Reports is a bit pricey but if you do a lot of coding that needs to create reports it is worth every penny and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    I had a look at the report tool in vb to see what it supports compared to the one I use. I'm glad I do not have to use it. I created a new report added a label to the page header and then clicked on the page header to get the code window and checked what events were available. By default it goes to report error event. If I do the same thign with Active Reports by default it creates a stub for PageHeaderFormat, there are also events for BeforePrint and AfterPrint which can be used. So in active reports it is as simple as
    Code:
    Private Sub PageHeader_Format()
    Label1.Caption = MyReportID
    End Sub
    These events are available for every section of a report and allows you to modify any data, font, color as you like all through code just like if you were working with a VB Form object.

I've switched to this tool back in VB5 from Crystal and fell in love with it the first day I used it so until now I had never looked at the VB report tool. Unfortunately Active Reports is a bit pricey but if you do a lot of coding that needs to create reports it is worth every penny and then some.
    Dear DataMiser,

I am attaching the picture of the error,when I tried your code !!!

Thanks
    Rahul
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by dsrahul; July 24th, 2013 at 10:48 PM. Reason: pic sixe

You should have noticed that I said that was the code that would work in Active Reports. To the best of my knowledge VB report tool has no such event.

The error you got is not related to the code I posted. It is telling you that you can not place a text box in that area. You will notice that I used a label in my code but again that code would not execute in Vb report tool due to the lack of the required event.

Dear dglienna,

No the bill no will be incremented every time a customers purchases something.
    Thanks
    Rahul