CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Windows Form Project (C#)

Im currently enrolled in a C# Course at my University.
    I need to make a project or a tool rather using Windows form application, that doesnt use Any database, AND it shouldnt be a game.
    I need Ideas. Help Please
    - It should be unique
    - No database
    - No link to the internet

Re: Windows Form Project (C#)

Well, the last two are just to make it simpler for you to do.

As for ideas - you first have to tell us what you've learned about C# so far. What concepts are you familiar with? Basic syntax? Classes, objects, composition, inheritance? Value types / reference types? Private / protected / public members? Fields, properties, methods? Static memebers? Conditional statements (if, if-else, switch...)? Loops (for, foreach, while)? Generics (like List<T>)? Events? What parts of the framework library you're familiar with? Have you programmed WinForms before? Console applications only?

Also, do you have some additional broad guidelines and constraints? Any ideas so far? What kind of application is expected of you, more specifically? Maybe a simplified mockup of some business app or tool? A (simple) line drawing application (there's an idea for you - and one that's not too hard to implement)? Elaborate a bit more.

hey thanks, i have recently studied concepts related to indexers, properties , delegates, basic winform apps eg. login page , visa form . This is a semester project , so by the time im done, hopefully i would have knowledge about all major concepts. Have to submit ideas now.
    Other students have submitted ideas such as 1. a cpu scheduler
    2. for/while/control loop tutorial for beginners
    3. old file notifier

So, what do you think about a relatively simple drawing application, where you'd have a canvas on which you can draw lines of various colors and widths, simple shapes like empty or filled rectangles, maybe drag and move objects around, showcase an implementation of the composite pattern (where you can treat a group of objects uniformly, as one entity - involves inheritance and composition), save and load your drawings, maybe some other stuff? This is IMO, neither too complex nor too simple - but, you'll be the judge of that.

If you don't like that - you could, for example, create your own version of a hierarchical note-keeping app. Something like TreePad Lite or Zim Desktop Wiki, but without the wiki-markup parsing. Essentially, what they do is maintain a bunch of plain text files in a hierarchy, kind of like windows explorer folders, except that the folders themselves are files and can have text associated with them (like you'd expect from a wiki), with zero or more subentries. Later on, you might consider the possibility of using a 3rd-party library (if that's allowed) to support wiki-like text formatting, or maybe HTML, so you can have neat things like links, pictures, etc.