CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] Char array variables in if staments ---- a beginner's experience

Dear all,

I'm a beginner learning C++ and I'm using the book Jumping into C++ - which by the way is really good. I'm currently doing the exercises for the fifth chapter (Loops) and I've done all of them, but I wanted to go the extra mile on the last program I'm supposed to design. The program is a poll and all the input from the user will be with numbers. However when a letter is pressed then of course you get wrong behaviour from the program, it keeps looping endlessly.

Here is a fragment of what I think is the way of doing it - but of course it's not working
    Code:
    int p = 0
    char anyLetter[]={"abcde"};	//Initializing char variable
    char a = anyLetter[p];

else if (userAnswer[n] == a)			//if statement where char needs to be used.
                    {
    			cout << "Pressing a letter maybe? It's only with numbers.  Try again." << endl;
    			continue;
    		}
    Any ideas? suggestions? Thanks guys

2kaud is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Char array variables in if staments ---- a beginner's experience

How are you inputting numbers? Are you using cin? If you are, then you can do something this like to test if input is valid or not

Code:
    int	i;
    string t;

if (!(cin >> i)) {
    		cout << "Not a number!" << endl;
    		cin.clear();
    		cin >> t;
    	} else {
    		cout <<"A number" << endl;
    	}
    If the input stream is expecting a number but gets something else then it sets the state of the stream to 'fail' which is tested with the if statement around the cin. If the input stream has 'failed', then the clear method is used to reset the input stream to 'good' ready for the next input and the 'bad ' input is read into t.

Hope this helps. If you're not using cin for input, post the code you are using and we'll provide more advice.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Thanks 2kaud for your soon reply

That's what I needed! but since I already had an if statement withing a while loop then what I did was to include your solution as part of that statement, so the program stops with your advice

this is how it is at the moment:

if (userAnswer [n] == 0 || userAnswer[n] >= 4 || (!(cin>>userAnswer[n])))
    break;

Thank you so much again

Quote Originally Posted by FelixCast View Post
    Here is a fragment of what I think is the way of doing it
    Please post self-contained fragments only. You have an else-if with no if and a continue outside of a loop. Nobody can make sense of a 'fragment' such as this.
    this is how it is at the moment:

if (userAnswer [n] == 0 || userAnswer[n] >= 4 || (!(cin>>userAnswer[n])))
    break;
    That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why are you testing the number before it is inputted by the user?

Parsing user input directly with std::cin is a bit awkward. It's easiest to always read an entire line into a string using std::getline and then parse the line using a std::istringstream.

Also see http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq/str...t-failure.html (and subsequent sections).
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

Thanks D Drmmr for your sound advise.

As I said before, I'm just a beginner who wants to learn the right ways and the best ways of doing things. And you're absolutely right, giving you fragments of code without the real 'context' of the program makes things worse.

It won't happen again. I've just read your link and that solved all the issues I had with my loop and the program itself. Thanks a lot .

It can't be denied that forums allow us neophytes to improve and learn.

Thanks again.

As I said before, I'm just a beginner who wants to learn the right ways and the best ways of doing things.
    Well, IMO using std::cin is never "the best way", it's just a convenient way to start learning to program C++ without having to get overwhelmed with things like a GUI framework. It's been a long time since I've written a program that used std::cin, except in small toy/testing programs (and then mostly only to pause the program). Real-world programs either get all their input from the command line and/or file(s), or if they need user interaction, get a full-blown GUI.

So, my advice concerning std::cin would be to not sweat the small stuff. It's good to know its quirks, just in case, but I wouldn't spend to much time trying to use it in "the best way".
    And you're absolutely right, giving you fragments of code without the real 'context' of the program makes things worse.

It won't happen again.
    No worries. Creating a small, but complete example of the issue you have is not only useful to those reading your post, it's also a useful exercise for yourself, as you'll often notice things about your own code you didn't notice before. Sometimes it'll even help you answer your own question.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky