CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'string'

I understand. So what do I do if I simply wanna run my program without debugging? (assuming there's nothing to debug)

VictorN is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

Find menu item (or toolbar button) "start without debugging" and press it.
    But note that you must use debugger, otherwise you won"t be able to find your bugs in code!
    Victor Nijegorodov

I see, F5 does the job.

Yes I'll keep that in mind, but it is important to be able to just test your program fluently as well.

Thank you all for the help.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

So what do I do if I simply wanna run my program without debugging
    The compiler will produce a .exe file with the name you have specified in the project properties. Open a command prompt window, change to the folder in which the .exe is located and simply type its name. If you no longer need to debug a program, then you can alter the project properties to produce a release build - rather than a debug build - which has optimisations enabled which will make the program execute faster.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

I imagine I'll be developing in Debug Mode. I just develop and run the program fluently and when I encounter bugs I'll start debugging. Isn't it how it's done? Do you guys really press F10 countless times while developing even when there's no need for debugging?

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

If debugging, you can set break points, watches etc to hone in on the code that isn't doing what is expected or giving problems. Then use F10 to step through the code (or even F11 to step into called functions) to see what is happening. Once you know that the program 'works' to a certain point in the code then a new breakpoint can be set at that place so all the code previous is automatically executed.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

I see, thanks that sounds useful.

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by royibernthal View Post
    I imagine I'll be developing in Debug Mode. I just develop and run the program fluently and when I encounter bugs I'll start debugging. Isn't it how it's done? Do you guys really press F10 countless times while developing even when there's no need for debugging?
    There's always a need for debugging, or at least to verify your code is running correctly. I step through just about every line of code I write to make sure it's doing what I think it is. Buggy programs can still give correct results from time to time. Getting the output you expect is no guarantee the code is working properly.

I agree that debugging is needed from time to time, especially after writing some major code, but to execute line after line EVERY single time you run the program sounds very tiring and unnecessary. Sometimes you just make small changes that you know for sure that'll work and just want to see how they look.

I agree that debugging is needed from time to time, especially after writing some major code, but to execute line after line EVERY single time you run the program sounds very tiring and unnecessary. Sometimes you just make small changes that you know for sure that'll work and just want to see how they look.
    Who said anything about every line every time?

Well it sounded like that from my point of view, I got the wrong impression then.

Well it sounded like that from my point of view, I got the wrong impression then.
    I'll step through each function I write, but when I'm sure it's doing what it's supposed to, there's no reason to visit it again. It's too easy to use a < instead or a > or to leave out a ! in an if statement to assume you get it right the first time. I work on very large programs and it's not reasonable to assume our testers will catch everything. The programmer has to put some effort into it too.

Yes I understand what you're talking about. We look at it the same way really. Thanks again.

VictorN is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by royibernthal
    ... but to execute line after line EVERY single time you run the program sounds very tiring and unnecessary
    You don't need to "execute line after line EVERY single time". You have a choice: using F10, F11, Shift+F11, Ctrl]F10, ... Just read the documentation about debugging and its commands.
    Victor Nijegorodov

Okay, I will.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast