CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'string'

Quote Originally Posted by royibernthal View Post
    Okay, I will.
    I suggested that you go through your program line-by-line with the debugger. The reason why is that you need to understand exactly how a program works, how variables are set, how a loop operates, etc. etc. Otherwise you will be right back to square one with your next assignment, asking us or some other person the same basic questions on how a program works, how a function works, how an if() statement works, etc.

By seeing it happen live, one step at a time using the debugger, you get to learn these things. By just luckily writing a program that "works", but never knowing why it works, gets you nowhere in the learning process. Once you have the necessary skills as a C++ programmer to have confidence in knowing how code will flow and what the various constructs will do, do you then take shortcuts by setting breakpoints and such.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Last edited by Paul McKenzie; April 4th, 2013 at 12:39 PM.

Re: error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'string'

Thanks for the advice, I'm not new to programming though just to C++. I pretty much understand how things work by now, so I am looking for shortcuts.
    I do obviously have much to learn about C++, things that I haven't encountered in other languages, but rest assured I'm not about to ask you how an IF statement works.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123