CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

printing barcode from vb program

Printing a barcode from
    hi
    friends i would like to have vb program from which i can print a barcode froma barcode printer and as well as i can scan a barcode from a barcode scaner ...plse ...i would be thankfull to them if any can come up with a code... my email id is send_2_mee@yahoo.com
    bye

barcode examples

...at present time, using mainly Net 4.0, Vs 2010

Special thanks to Lothar "the Great" Haensler, Chris Eastwood , dr_Michael, ClearCode, Iouri and
    all the other wonderful people who made and make Codeguru a great place.
    Come back soon, you Gurus.

Re: printing barcode from vb program

Reading a barcode is simple. Many scanners send the barcode data as though it were typed from a keyboard so there is nothing special to do with those simply provide a textbox with focus so the data can be entered into it. Typically I configure the scanner to send a CR at the end and trap for that in the keypress event to process the data and reset the field to accept the next barcode.

Some barcode scanners will send the data through your serial port rather than through the key board interface in which case you would use the MSComm control or other method to interface with the serial port, still pretty simple to work with.

For printing you can in many cases use a font and then it depends on which type of barcode you want to use. 3of9 requires the use of an * on either end of the data, code 128 requires that you calculate a check digit and add it to the data and so on.

If you want to use the internal methods of the barcode printer then that also is doable but varies depending on the printer in question.

Edit: Just noticed that the OP is almost 10 years old
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.