CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

[RESOLVED] Where are my posts between January 2006 and June 2012?

I tried to search for my posts in CG to view kinda statistics. But what I've just found out is a big gap between January 2006 and June 2012 so it looks like I didn't send any post ata all!?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Victor Nijegorodov

Re: Where are my posts between January 2006 and June 2012?

Looks like the indexes need to get rebuild... Will email the IT people.

In the mean time, if you click into your profile and select View Posts - you'll have access to all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Looks like the indexes need to get rebuild... [...]
    AFAICT the forum search has never really worked since the forum software update last year. I've complained about that myself quite some times, as well as other members. After all the search is a quite important feature.

In the mean time, if you click into your profile and select View Posts - you'll have access to all of them.
    I hadn't tried that yet after I found out that the item "View forum posts" from the menu that appears when clicking the user name in the post header didn't work either (at least not for viewing all the user's posts, however, the link on the profile page reads "Find latest posts" so that actually may not even be the intention behind that link). Now, after reading your post, I tried both methods, and it turned out that not only they both didn't work, they even referred to the identical searchid (being invoked so closely after each other), so it's no surprise that the results were identical.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Thank you Steve.
    Hope it will be fixed ASAP. I just need to have (until tomorrow!) my post statistic since the last year.
    Victor Nijegorodov

I took a look at the view forum posts link for VictorN and was able to see the posts during the gap indicated above. If there is an issue, it seems to be tied to the search index rather than missing posts.

Brad!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

-----------------------------------------------

The re-indexing has been done. I searched for ‎VictorN and found this and other threads.

Thank you guys!
    Now I can see my posts between April and June 2012 (at list in Visual C++ Rorum!)
    Victor Nijegorodov

Thumbs up Re: [RESOLVED] Where are my posts between January 2006 and June 2012?

Kewl! I did some tests, yet couldn't actually prove I'm able to instantly find all my posts (the next paragraph is related to this), but at least I couldn't find any significant indication that I can't, and it definitely works much better than it used to anytime since the update.

I obsereved some peculiarity in the behavior of the "page selector widget" for the search result listing pages, but that may have been due to peculiarities of the JavaScript implementation of the rather uncommon browser I'm using right now (Dolphin Browser on Android), and will re-check that with Firefox when I'm back at my Windows box before I go into any details. (This is one of these things where the description is considerably more complex than the matter itself... .)

One final question remains for me, though: After all the solution to the search issue doesn't seem to really have been so complicated, so why did it take so long?
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Re: [RESOLVED] Where are my posts between January 2006 and June 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by Eri523 View Post
    One final question remains for me, though: After all the solution to the search issue doesn't seem to really have been so complicated, so why did it take so long?
    Odds are real good that the indexes have been rebuilt before.. That or the ball got dropped which probably won't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eri523 View Post
    I obsereved some peculiarity in the behavior of the "page selector widget" for the search result listing pages, but that may have been due to peculiarities of the JavaScript implementation of the rather uncommon browser I'm using right now (Dolphin Browser on Android), and will re-check that with Firefox when I'm back at my Windows box before I go into any details. [....]
    Ok, so I could reproduce it with Firefox (ver. 20.0). Here's the description: When I started a searchh for all the threads I participated in in the C++/CLI section, the "widget" initially displays an unreasonably low page count:

Name:  pwgt1.png
Views: 752
Size:  817 Bytes

Note that it says there are five pages, yet there are only page selection buttons up to #4. When I click on the drop down arrow at the left end, I can get directly to page five and some additional pages occur:

Name:  pwgt2.png
Views: 741
Size:  1.1 KB

I can do that some more times and eventually get to the actual last page:

Name:  pwgt3.png
Views: 743
Size:  1.0 KB

The total count of search hits now reads 329, which is a reasonable count of threads I have participated in, and I recall that the earliest one displayed actually is the earliest one I posted in. From there I can browse back over the pages which works correctly, yet there's no "Last" button as known from other instances of that kind of widgets on the site.

Perhaps this is by design, for instance because the search hit list is built incrementally, so it can't be changed, but I think it's still worth mentioning as it may irritate some users. It's a bit tedeous if I only want to know how many threads I posted in, but otherwise just a minor annoyance.

I also noticed a formatting glitch in the last post date column:

Name:  PostDate.png
Views: 729
Size:  1.7 KB

IIRC that has already been reported earlier by someone else, though.

I confirm that this problem with pages is actual also in Google Chrome.
    And it is annoying!
    Victor Nijegorodov