CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

How to substitute correct module when debugging a dump file for Visual Studio 2010?

Hello:

I have a dump file from a remote machine which I'm trying to debug. Both the remote machine and my debugger are using Windows 7 with Service Pack 1. The crashing program was built with Visual Studio 2010. I've set up a cache on my local machine for downloading symbols from the Microsoft Symbol Servers.

When I try to examine the call stack from the dump file, an important section of it is blocked out because it can't find the symbols for msvcr100.dll. I am able to download the symbols for most of the other modules like ntdll.dll, so I know the symbol cache is working. After reading the last post at this page <http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...-9afb7bb72a00/> I figured out that I too had a later version of the binary than the remote machine. I then downloaded msvcr100.dll from the remote machine in order to use it. However, apparently in Visual Studio 2010 they've removed the ability to specify a separate module search path <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...v=vs.100).aspx>.

Thus far, I've been completely unable to get Visual Studio to use the downloaded module. Based on that last MSDN article, I should be able to put the downloaded msvcr100.dll either in the same directory as the dump file or in [dump file location]\system32, but neither of those work.

At the risk of making my machine unable to boot, I even tried swapping the older version of the module in place of the newer one on the local machine, but that didn't work either.

Has anybody had any experience with this? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
    GeoRanger
    Last edited by GeoRanger; April 17th, 2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: fix grammar error